Too Much Trailer?

1979 Quartermasters

Chief Petty Officer
Hi Guys;

I have a 20 ft Sea Ray, 1995, with a 5.7 in it. The trailer I have is not heavy enough. The boat new and dry weighs 3150 lbs. The trailers max is 3740 lbs. I weighed the trailer with boat and gear and fuel at 4000 lbs (not hitched to truck).

My question is: I have found a tandem rated for 7000 lbs for a reasonable price. Is this to much trailer for this boat and what harm might I do to the boat or trailer?.......Thanks

.....Ken

Rash

Recruit
I have a 21 foot arrowglass on a tandom axle trailer. It weighs in at just over 4200 lbs loaded and with a full tank of fuel.

Just out of curiosity did you get the axle weight when you weighed it?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
Re: Too Much Trailer?

As long as the trailer fits the boat properly, I don`t think there is such a thing as too much trailer. If the new trailer is a good buy, I`d say go for it.

JDA1975

Lieutenant

As long as the trailer fits the boat properly, I don`t think there is such a thing as too much trailer. If the new trailer is a good buy, I`d say go for it.

+1 there is no such thing as too much, just too little. As long as the tow vehicle is compatible I would upgrade

erie_guy

Petty Officer 1st Class

I once trailered a 16' canoe from Cincinnati to Northern Ohio on my 32' E-Z Loader (AL, 3-axle) because both had to come north at the same time. It looked very out of place on the highway but was safe and neither were damaged in the move. I say you would be OK with what you propose.

erie_guy
Port Clinton, OH

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

At 4000 lbs you should have 400-600 lbs of tongue weight... that leaves 3400-3600 lbs of weight riding on the axle(s)

ALSO 3740 lbs is an odd number.... I BET that's the trailer NET capacity and not the gross.... that would mean that you would weight the trailer and subtract that from your 4000 lbs.... Do you have two axles? 2000 lbs a piece mebbe.....

either way the trailer you have is probably fine

Thalasso

Commander

+1 there is no such thing as too much, just too little. As long as the tow vehicle is compatible I would upgrade

You can have to much trailer. When you go to big the suspension will or could play havoc on the boat because of not enough weight to depress the springs enough for a softer ride. Think of having a pickup 1/2 ton truck with 1 ton suspension and only putting a 1/4 ton load in the bed.Thats about how the boat will ride.

Thalasso

Commander

Hi Guys;

I have a 20 ft Sea Ray, 1995, with a 5.7 in it. The trailer I have is not heavy enough. The boat new and dry weighs 3150 lbs. The trailers max is 3740 lbs. I weighed the trailer with boat and gear and fuel at 4000 lbs (not hitched to truck).

My question is: I have found a tandem rated for 7000 lbs for a reasonable price. Is this to much trailer for this boat and what harm might I do to the boat or trailer?.......Thanks

.....Ken

Yor trailer should be good. Remember you weighed the boat and trailer at 4000 lbs. Trailer max cap.doesn't include weight of trailer. GVW is the trailer and load.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Yor trailer should be good. Remember you weighed the boat and trailer at 4000 lbs. Trailer max cap.doesn't include weight of trailer. GVW is the trailer and load.

+1..

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

If your current trailer is a tandem axle trailer, you're good to go. Many trailers purchased with boats are sufficient to carry the combined load--especially if it's a "factory package."

If you're trailer is a single axle, you're probably a little marginal.

If you were not pulling it very far, you still might be okay. But, a 100 mile one way trip to the lake is another matter. When you get into towing 3,500+ pounds, you really need trailer brakes--unless you live in the flatlands of Arkansas. Hilly and/or mountainous terrain is another consideration--requiring a really good trailer.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Think of having a pickup 1/2 ton truck with 1 ton suspension and only putting a 1/4 ton load in the bed.Thats about how the boat will ride.

And pick up trucks are only used when loaded ?????:confused:

chriscraft254

Commander

Sounds like your trailer is fine. Does it say max gvw load or cargo load?

1979 Quartermasters

Chief Petty Officer

I'm pretty sure GVW includes the trailer. My concern is the boat is not heavy enough to compress the springs and the boat will be bounced around to much. Also I drive a gravel semi with a tripple axle aluminum trailer and we break more springs empty than loaded. I don't mean to step on toes here, but i'm hearing both sides of the arguement. I'm sure we can have more discussion on this subject.....Thanks....

Ken

IMG_1740640.jpg IMG_1807640.jpg IMG_1817640.jpg IMG_2222640.jpg

If you look at the frame rail on the second picture it is arking over the axle. That is what brought this issue to my attention

Last edited:

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

I would upgrade to the tandem, just for piece of mind. I would change the axles and springs on the tandem to 2500lb models and you will have a great setup and plenty close to be within safety margins and ride, and it wont cost much nor be much work, probably do it in a half day easy.

Seeing the frame bend is enough to make you nervous everytime your on the highway and thats no fun!

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

yep that changes things (a little) you have a 3500 lb axle and the manufacturer has accounted for tongue weight in the gvw number you gave us... yes gvw is TOTAL weight. You are a few hundred lbs over your rating.... you could do fine with a 4400 lb tandem but the 7000 lb will also be fine.... you won't be breaking anything from too light of a load and you don't need to change any parts to lighter ones. While you won't be loaded to max, you will be loaded plenty for the suspension to do it's job.

sqbtr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

There is some misinformation............if thats a word going on here.

Max tongue weight on a BOAT trailer is 7%............................. If anyone on here can find a manufacturer of boat trailers that can recomend over that, please post here

Smokeonthewater unless you are a rep or engineer of the boat trailer manufacturers please stop giving flase info.....................

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

I tire of hearing that from you.... you don't have a clue
I have posted LOTS of information for you in the past but I'm here to help folks and not to constantly argue the same old topic with you.... a trailer is a dmn trailer...... The physics involved do not change if it is hauling a boat, a Ferrari, or 200 tons if chickenchit.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

There is some misinformation............if thats a word going on here.

Max tongue weight on a BOAT trailer is 7%............................. If anyone on here can find a manufacturer of boat trailers that can recomend over that, please post here

Smokeonthewater unless you are a rep or engineer of the boat trailer manufacturers please stop giving flase info.....................

Lighten up francis

Perhaps you can tell us your qualifications so that the Forum can crap all over your opinion too, Last time I checked the Forum is part of the free world and therefore our opinions are free as well, Your barking up the wrong tree here dude.

Thalasso

Commander

I'm pretty sure GVW includes the trailer. My concern is the boat is not heavy enough to compress the springs and the boat will be bounced around to much. Also I drive a gravel semi with a tripple axle aluminum trailer and we break more springs empty than loaded. I don't mean to step on toes here, but i'm hearing both sides of the arguement. I'm sure we can have more discussion on this subject.....Thanks....

Ken

View attachment 127665 View attachment 127666 View attachment 127667 View attachment 127668

If you look at the frame rail on the second picture it is arking over the axle. That is what brought this issue to my attention

Just for the heck of it, how did the trailer get that bow? I see the trailer Manf date to be April 2011. To heavy of a load wouldn't buckel it there. Alot of weight would have to be put on it before the axel.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Just for the heck of it, how did the trailer get that bow? I see the trailer Manf date to be April 2011. To heavy of a load wouldn't buckle it there. Alot of weight would have to be put on it before the axle.

enough weight would indeed buckle the frame right there but 240 lbs over rated is not nearly enough to do that.... maybe if you jumped some railroad tracks with it but just bouncing down the road wouldn't do it....Unless there was some sort of jump, wreck, incident involving a ditch that we don't know about I'd lighten the load (drain fuel, remove spare tire, batts and gear etc) just enough to be within the rated capacity and avoid a technicality and have a talk with the dealer you bought the trailer from.... Just a couple hundred lbs is no excuse for that trailer to have failed.