1996 Cobra 302 EFI with Volvo outdrive

northernhauler

Recruit
I have a 1996 Fourwinns Sundowner 225 with a Cobra 302 EFI. My outdrive is volvo. I have been looking for a used engine for it. I found a few but they are not fuel injected. The one I am leaning for is a 1993 OMC Cobra 5.0 HO with carbs. I was told that it was hooked to a OMC Cobra outdrive. Will this work for me?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1996 Cobra 302 EFI with Volvo outdrive

It should fit fine, assuming the 93 is also a Ford 5.0L. You will have to remove the shift interrupt system, as the SX drive does not use one. But that's an easy and straight forward job. You will also have to mount a belt driven or crankshaft mounted raw water pump. The Cobra drives had a raw water pump in the outdrive, the SX does not.

northernhauler

Recruit

Great, thanks. Yes the 93 is a Ford 5.0L. I was just looking at prices of raw water pumps. If I was looking for the correct thing they are about $400 new. I still have my original motor so can I just transfer what I need from one to another to avoid buying the raw water pump?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I have no clue, give it a try and find out. The chances of finding someone that has changed those two exact engines is ................ well, North Dakota has a better chance of becoming ocean front property by morning.