Where to find an outboard?

scrit9mm

Chief Petty Officer
I have been looking at Craigslist and Ebay along with every local classified in search for a 15-25 hp outboard. I am coming up with just junk or something priced like it was made out of gold!

Does anyone have any ideas on where to look or do I just need to keep chipping away.

brettmc

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Where to find an outboard?

thats where i've been looking. at first, i wanted a used outboard but after many days of looking at internet junk plus reading in the outboard repair section of iboats, I've decided to go with a new outboard.

There are 3 main reasons I am doing this: 1) no major maintenance will be needed for warranty years. 2) don't have to worry about unknown repair history of used motor. 3) improved reliability.

Winter is the perfect time to buy a new motor. Dealers usually have a year or 2 of leftovers they need to get rid of plus off-season pricing is attractive.

I plan on swooping in to the Mercury dealer that's 1/4 mile from my house. They have some 2 year old new motors that will be 3 years old soon. I think I can negotiate a good price there. If not, there's always the Tohatsu dealer across town...

eavega

Lieutenant

Keep looking at CL, and expand your search area to include neighboring communities, as far as you are willing to drive. I searched for my current motor for about two months, and my search area included North Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee, and South Carolina. Only thing is that you have to be very sure of what you are buying, and be prepared to walk away from it if it feel wrong, which is a little hard after you have spend a couple of hours in the car to get there.

Rgds

scrit9mm

Chief Petty Officer

Very true.

I dont see spending over 1200 bucks for a 15 horse outboard. That's almost robbery! Plus seeing that my boat cost $100 it just doesnt make logical sense.

jere1972

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I always had pretty good luck hitting the local marina's (any where they sell outboards) and asked about the trade-ins they take you can sometimes find some pretty good deals!

nwcove

Admiral

get the word out in your social circle, lots of guys find great motors that were tucked away in the back of grandpas garage, and get sold cheap....need minimal $$ to make them as good ( or better) than a new one.

ultra353

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you don`t mind working on them place an ad on craigslist for non-running motors in your hp range. Craigslist is great if you can check it every couple of hours as the good priced/good stuff goes pretty quickly. Your dealer is another good source as mentioned. Just talk to them( if their willing to help you out, tell them you`ll buy all your parts from them)) as they won`t work on the older stuff anymore and give `e m your phone number so if something does come in your dealer will hopefully think of you and give their customer your number. Usually they`ve been told by the dealer its not worth fixing and you wont have to negotiate much, just tell them you want it for spare parts. Good luck.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Very true.

I dont see spending over 1200 bucks for a 15 horse outboard. That's almost robbery! Plus seeing that my boat cost $100 it just doesnt make logical sense.

If you had told us that right away we wouldn't have offended you with good ideas.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I just searched CL - Alabama only and found dozens for less than $1200. Some even included whole boats with trailers for way less than $1200. How are you searching?

5150abf

Vice Admiral

My brother found and engine for me so tell everyone you know that you are looking for an outboard, the more eyes you have in the search the better off you are.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

You're looking in the right place, but your timing may be wrong. A new 15 hp can be bought for $2200, and a 25 hp around $4K--4 strokes.

Boattraders.com filtered for 200 miles should pull up all the Atlanta market, Muscle Shoals, Huntsville, Nashville, Montgomery, and the whole Tennessee River areas. It's the same for EbayMotors.com. All of these are 2 hr. max. drives, but Nashville is a 3 hr. drive for you.

You can also easily look at Craigs List for B'ham, Montgomery, Atlanta, Huntsville, The Shoals, Nashville.

You can find a good used motor in these markets at the price you want to pay.

woodsyfeller

Petty Officer 2nd Class

One thing to consider is everyone marks up there products because they know the buyer is going to offer less, just remember when it comes to buying used offer half then work your way up from there

Like a previous poster said be ready to walk away if it dont feel right ....walk

When it comes to CL if you want a really good deal be patient and wait.Eventually a good deal is going to come along and unfortunaltey when you think you got the best deal your going to get a better deal will show up 2 weeks later.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

repair shops.

you are looking for one of the most popular sized portable motors, so you better be ready to grab it when it comes by--you won't have the luxury of bargaining or trying it out.

Look for one attached to a boat.

pscrabber59

Petty Officer 1st Class

CL is your best bet IMHO. I really can't see someone buying on ebay though. First you have to bid, then have it shipped? because your 1000 miles from the motor, how do you know it starts and runs just because these people say so??
At least with craigslist your usually in your local area, can see it starting(in most cases) and run and barter if have to.
Now you do have to watch out on CL about stolen motors and junkers but if your not in a hurry you can get a decent to good deal for a 15hp-25hp. I had a 2001 Honda 25hp with controls that i sold for $1000 and the person who bought drove 3.5hrs to my home in seattle, wa. from Canada to buy because he said every motor in his area was overpriced or crap. Gd. luck finding your motor