keel protector

1977 SILVERLINE

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1977 silverline nantucket and I was interested in a keel protector. It is a really nice old boat and I do beach it quite a bit on a river bottom lake that has quite a few small rocks on the beaches. Its a 17' v hull but i am worried about the rollers on the shorelander trailer ripping the expensive keel protector off. Any one with an opinion on this would help and maybe a recomendation of where to get one, because I will probably order it online so I can install it this spring if I decide to purchase one. Thanks

kmarine

Chief Petty Officer
Re: keel protector

The keel guard is a good product. I have had great success in protecting the hull from rockey beaches bu using it. I did have one on my 87 bayliner and the keel rollers did peel the keel guard off. I did have a heavy boat 4000# that had a lot of weight placed on the keel rollers. I do not think the weight of a 17 ft boat like yours will be a problemb. I recomend the keel guard end is past the roller you are concerned about. You can also adjust your bunks to minimise the pressure if it catches in the roller.

BigLee324

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i would think you could also round off the bottom edge so as to eliminate the abrut edge of the gaurd wich would lessen the chance of it catching on the roller. Feathering it down at a slope starting about an inch and a half from the bottom end may also be a consideration, this would form a ramp and again eliminate the brupt edge. Making these modifications to a new part is not idea, but you do what ya gotta do.
you could use a sander or a file if need be.

1977 SILVERLINE

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I see that the keel protectors are on sale, does anyone know if they come with an instulation kit with prep and glue ect. or do thoes items need to also be ordered. Sorry I have never installed one before. Thanks

JDA1975

Lieutenant

they have a sticky side, prep the hull (wash and degrease well) then peel the paper and stick it on...roll it down with a rolling wheel, like the metal wallpaper seam rollers or sort and if your prep work was good it should hold!