Throttle cable tension..

jason32038

Chief Petty Officer
I was wondering if any of you knew off the top or your head what the throttle cable tension should be set at. Could anyone with a mid to late 80's force take off their throttle cable and measure the distance between the nipple and the actual cable connector for me? I had "play" in my throttle as in one direction would throttle faster and the other would be slightly delayed and also wouldnt move linkage back all the way to return to adjusted idle speed on land. I dont remember if it was forward or reverse because I havent fired it up in 5 months. I didnt search iboats because it always comes up with a jizzillion of unrelated results to sift through. Any help or suggestions appreciated thanks!!

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Throttle cable tension..

It varies from engine to engine depending upon engine HP and linkage. Look at the last couple of replies to Spool about his Chrysler 105. There is a photo and a description of throttle cabe terminal at engine.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Throttle cable or shift cable?
Shift cable,there should be no play.Find neutral,motor and shifter.Adjust the connector to go over the ball.
Throttle,Again,neutral.RPM's at 750-800.Adjust the connector to where it will fit with some pulling on the cable.Not a lot just enough to put tension on the connector.

jason32038

Chief Petty Officer

Ok I think I understand..one of the problems im having is the towershaft is not returning to it's normal position after I return shifter lever to neutral. Would a good way to fix this is push the towershaft against the block by hand and adjust the idle (on land) THEN adjust the throttle tension? Sorry I forgot to mention that it's a newly repaired '86 85hp that hasnt hit the water yet. I want to get it closer before I hit the water this spring. THanks guys and gals if any..

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Towershaft/cable.Needs tension after the rpms are set at 750-800.
Pull the connector the last 1/8th in.and hook it to the ball.