F150 motor bracket question

ccm14

Cadet
Hello,
I have an 06 Yamaha F150 that I have been having problems with the trim/tilt. If the engine is running about 1200 rpms and trimmed as far up as possible, and still pick up water, when you trim the motor down it makes a strange noise. This started a couple of trips ago and the problem has been pretty constant. Does it most every time. When I was cleaning the boat today I noticed that when the trim is moved down it looks as if there is some metal to metal contact on the motor bracket. Don't know if this could be causing my problem but none the less it looks like it is a problem even if it is not my noise gremlin. I have attached a picture of which shows the wear that is happening. Ok, now my questions:

Could this be causing my noise problem? I really don't think so because
you can't replicate the noise when the motor is in the test tank at the
dealer. The motor must be pushing the boat for the noise to occur.

What is the best remedy for this metal to metal contact problem? Since
I use the motor in saltwater, I fear that if I just sand or file down the
pieces that are rubbing I will have a corrosion problem even if I repaint
them.

Is this metal to metal contact a sign of a more sinister problem?

For your information, the dealer has checked the hydraulic fluid in the trim unit and said it was OK.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Charlie

Attachments

• P1050794.jpg
    P1050794.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 0

BaileysBoat

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: F150 motor bracket question

PICT0003.jpg

Metal to metal contact and scuffing is normal in that area. Sometimes you hear a noise because of it. Smear heavy grease or grey anti seize compound on the bracket and ears and you are good to go.

Last edited: