Hydraulic steering on Bass Buggy?

IslandManMitch

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I had a 34' Challenger that I was going to re-engine with Armstrong brackets. Wheeling and dealing I got the brackets and a new complete Hynautics steering system and bunch of other stuff for the boat. I sold the boat and kept the stuff. My 1986 40hp 20' Bass Buggy needs a new Teleflex steering cable. I am thinking I will replace the Teleflex system with the new hydraulic steering. The pontoon boat has been in my family since new and will be at least until I'm gone. The time and trouble is a none issue. I already have it so cost is not a factor. I know it is an overkill and that is my question. Will I regret not just changing the Teleflex cable and be happy?

O-fishal

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Hydraulic steering on Bass Buggy?

Hydraulic is the bomb ..... I have it on my trolling motor with dual stations NO REGRETS especially if you already have everything you need.

IslandManMitch

Petty Officer 3rd Class

That's what I am thinking but I don't want it to be like a go cart with power steering.

O-fishal

Petty Officer 3rd Class

OOOOOOOOOOOOO that would be cool too!! lol

Silver Eagle

Master Chief Petty Officer

My PT Boat steers like a tank. I would love to have some sort of Power steering. My Bow Rider had it.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

I also have a pontoon boat. By all means, put the hydraulic steering on it.

I don't really know that the "power steering" option is worth the $1K extra on top of hydraulic steering.

IslandManMitch

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I am not hearing any nay sayers saying I'm wasting the hydraulic system on my pontoon boat. I know my steering is not easy right now because of the bad cable but I think it will be so slick using a suicide knob while docking. I am also going to change the engine controls to the new set of Morse controls I have while I'm at it.

IslandManMitch

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I finally got around to changing the cable steering to the hydraulic system. Other than bleeding the system it was easy to install. Everyone was correct, I am very pleased with the results. I changed out the original side shifter for the new top mount Morse binicale controls and I like it even better than the steering change if that is possible.

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

Hydraulic steering is the bees knees :D