Smoking motor??

ngt

Master Chief Petty Officer
So I took my 2008 9.8hp tohatsu 4 stroke out today, ran great, brought it home and went to start it up to flush it.

pull "choke" :) button out

pump the bulb once

pull start the motor

smoke comes out

push "choke" :) in

no more smoke

idles fine

disconnect gas line

run dry

in the garage it goes

Any idea on what the smoke was about?

I had just sprayed the thing down pretty good on the outside. Maybe some water got in somewhere? I don't know...

thanks for the help!

robert graham

Admiral
Re: Smoking motor??

Sounds like your "pull carb button out" is actually a choke and when you pull it the motor chokes and runs rich, causing smoke?...Also if you're storing your motor laying down flat or tilted up, oil can run down into combustion area and cause smoke when you start it up. Lots of outboards smoke when first cranked up, so it's doubtful you have any big problem here. Good Luck!:)

pvanv

Admiral

Yep. The three things that typically cause that puff of smoke are excessive choking at startup, slight oil making its way to the combustion chambers during handling, and moisture/condensation (which can come from that hosing off). Should not be a cause for concern, but be careful not to get too much water in the intake silencer when hosing off.

ngt

Master Chief Petty Officer

Yeah, choke, that's what I meant. Sorry, been a tough day.

I keep my motor on my boat and my boat in the garage. It's never been laid down in the couple of years I've had it. I'm guessing it came from the hosing off or too much choke. Thanks for easing my worries :D