Engine Restore products on marine engines

mark1905

Chief Petty Officer
Has anyone ever used this stuff on a marine engine with good results? Bad results?

I've read up on it in automotive forums and it seems split.. the people that have used it say that it works great and the people that laugh at it usually have never used it. Not looking to start a discussion of whether or not it will actually work by people that have never used it.. but more curious to hear from anyone that has. My concern is whether or not such a high RPM environment would have adverse effects.

L_Engine_Restore.jpg

BlueLightSpecial

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Engine Restore products on marine engines

This is strictly opinion, and I have used it, But there is no such thing as mechanic in a can. or bottle, or bucket.:facepalm: Never noticed any improvement, but it did bump up compression, about a pound per cylinder. Dont remember what my before and after numbers were, as it was like 15 some years ago.:D

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Simply - yes and didn't do a thing except lighten my wallet..

Bondo

Staff member

Simply - yes and didn't do a thing except lighten my wallet..

Ayuh,... That's the design intent of All those Mechanic in a cans...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

the people that have used it say that it works great

The people that use that stuff and recommend it probably couldn't tell any difference. Nothing you can put in a can is going to cure low compression if you have rusted rings, bad valves, or holes in pistons. Those products are used a lot by the "Let me patch this with a can of this so I can sell the POS " group. So they never get to see that the mechanic in a can worked for a couple weeks then wore off and went back to junk, or blew up.

If all you want to hear is the good things about it, go to the manufacturers site and read the reviews.

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Years ago I had an old 77 olds cutlass with a 231 buick motor, just a to and from work beater,it used a quart of 10w40 every 2 tanks of gas. I tried Engine Restorer, cut the oil consumtion in half, didnt change the fact that the motor was worn out.

mark1905

Chief Petty Officer

I knew this would be a touchy subject.. no way around it. Not saying for a second that I only want to hear good things about it, just that I'd like to hear actual testimonials of use and outcome.

I think that if we decide to re-power later this year that I'll do my own testing and report back. For now, I'll steer clear.

RogersJetboat454

Commander

Used it in my first car when I was a teenage pup in trade school. The result? 8 bucks less cash for gas, and my car still huffed oil. Shell Rotella 15W-40 diesel oil made a bigger difference... :)