Need help with a 1987 DT25 suzuki o/b exhaust plate

I bought a 25 hp suzuki (1987) the motor was getting hot so I changed the t-stat and the empeller, still getting hot after about 4-5 minutes running...there is an exhaust/water cover plate on the port side of the motor...well when I attempted to take this off it already had numerous bolt heads broke off, anyway's now the plate is in a few different pieces actually both plates broke and all the bolts are still in the motor? any body know how I should go about this without having to pull the motor head off? should I heat the motor block around the broken bolt or heat the broken bolt?

when I finally got these plates off nothing looked like it was blocked/clogged, are there any small holes in the water jacket? because all the ports I could see are bid enough to put a screw driver in, I am at a lose..dont' know if i should try to buy new cover plates and put it back together...someone please help!

James R

Commander
Re: Need help with a 1987 DT25 suzuki o/b exhaust plate

If the motor has been used in salt water you will probably have a bigger problem on your hands. You will need to pull the power head to gain access to the lower exhaust cover bolts then you need access to a Mig welder to get those bolts out. If you mean to go that far I can explain a procedure to get the bolts out. There is a chance that one or more bolts wont come out then drilling and tapping will be involved. A good machine shop with a welder may be your best bet. Everything considered a replacement power head or replacing the complete motor may be in order.Sorry to have to tell you this.