Best Auxiliary Outboard for Boston Whaler 17'

michaux

Cadet
Hi,
I have a 1990s 17' Montauk with a 2 stroke Yamaha 90HP.
I want to buy a used but reliable emergency engine that will only be used if the main engine stops.
I was thinking of around 5HP.
What is the best engine that combines reliablility and lightness?
Thanks
Frank

Attachments

• Engine water pressure.jpg
    Engine water pressure.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 0

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Best Auxiliary Outboard for Boston Whaler 17'

It would really simplify things if there were a clearcut answer, Frank. There are so many opinions from so many people.

My choice would be a 80's JohnnyRude Fisherman (6HP) with a 3gallon tank. Best outboard ever in that range, IMO.

Big problem with an almost-never-used backup outboard is lack of exercise just riding around on the transom. Also premix fuel supply when it is backing up an oil injected main powerplant. Needs to be run for a few minutes during every trip.

You would need to choose between an Xtra long shaft and a bracket for mounting. I have seen people carry a small popper aboard that they could mount if needed. JohnnyRude 2s would fit that application.

When I was operating one of my 16/17 Boston Whalers I just gave extra care to my main plant and did not mount an aux. That decision never came back to bite me, even with a lot of offshore trolling. I did always use at least two tanks, carry spare plugs, change impellers annually and other actions to enhance reliability.

Good luck. :)

robert graham

Admiral

Honda makes a 2HP, 4 stroke, air-cooled, 27lb. outboard motor, new for $1000. You'd need to check the shaft length for your transom height, might need a bracket, as JB mentioned. I've run a 90C Yamaha for 13 years(1999 model), and they're pretty much dead reliable with good preventive maintenance. But a kicker would be nice for ocean/saltwater usage. Good Luck!

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I agree with JB; 6 if anything but usually not a good use of resources. You can get a lot of tows for $1,000--and may never need the first one. I've managed in over 40 years and a dozen boats in saltwater to never pay for a tow, or really need a kicker.

The only way it makes sense is if you would be using the kicker on a second boat, too, unless you are in true wilderness.

robert graham

Admiral

I agree with JB; 6 if anything but usually not a good use of resources. You can get a lot of tows for $1,000--and may never need the first one. I've managed in over 40 years and a dozen boats in saltwater to never pay for a tow, or really need a kicker.

The only way it makes sense is if you would be using the kicker on a second boat, too, unless you are in true wilderness.

Yep, I've never been towed, but I've towed a few in myself!....If I was going out in the ocean on a regular basis I might just throw my Tanaka 3HP in the boat!...it ain't much, but would beat paddling back!....:D