stain and spar urethane

tanuki

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am going to use Spar Urethane for the new wood bench seats for my aluminum boat. I want to stain them with Miniwax water based wood stain or even the Miniwax Express Color stain in a tube before I put on the coats of Spar Urethane. Has anyone tried this or any other kind of stain with good success? I want to use a blue or red or green color stain to make the seats "pop" in contrast to the interior boat color. I was originally going to use epoxy to cover the stain, but after calling most of the companies I have learned that epoxy does not stick to stain and epoxy has no UV inhibitors so I would have to coat with Spar Urethane over the epoxy anyway. So, can I use a waterbase stain before the Spar over coat??

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: stain and spar urethane

Yes you can.

You will probably need 3 coats of the urethane and lightly sand between each coat. Your results will make you proud.

Thalasso

Commander

I am going to use Spar Urethane for the new wood bench seats for my aluminum boat. I want to stain them with Miniwax water based wood stain or even the Miniwax Express Color stain in a tube before I put on the coats of Spar Urethane. Has anyone tried this or any other kind of stain with good success? I want to use a blue or red or green color stain to make the seats "pop" in contrast to the interior boat color. I was originally going to use epoxy to cover the stain, but after calling most of the companies I have learned that epoxy does not stick to stain and epoxy has no UV inhibitors so I would have to coat with Spar Urethane over the epoxy anyway. So, can I use a waterbase stain before the Spar over coat??

Spar was the thing of choice when i was i the service. As said above, sand between coats. More coats the better.

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

I framed a large coffin type box for my Alum boat w untreated pine lumber, and alum panels, and stained the wood dark brown like Walnut w Minwax. I used 5 coats of urethane, light sanding between and it looks and lasts well being out in the weather. The more coats the better, it's very tough and lasts.

DuckHunterJon

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Shouldn't be a problem as long as you use regular stain - not one of their stain and sealer combo products. As everyone said, sand between coats, several coats. Couple of additional hints. If you want a satin finish, the first several coats shoud be done in gloss, with your final coat being satin. If you start out with satin, the finish will be cloudy, as the components in the satin add up layer for layer. Going with gloss for the first few coats, then a satin will provide the gloss level you want, but still allow the grain to come through.

Second tip, spar urethane is good, but don't think it's a one and done if it sits outside in sun. I built a front door to the house out of white oak, spent a bunch of time researching what to put on it, and settled on spar urethane. I still have to sand and recoat every couple of years. This is south facing, but protected from most rain by porch overhang. YMMV.

kfa4303

Banned

you could also use the epoxy, then paint it. I guess you wouldn't get the wood grain effect, but it would be 100% waterproof and you could choose virtually any shade of paint you like.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

all good advice; new to me about starting with gloss. Lots of thin coats. Avoid damp or cold conditions.
Be sure to cup the grain on the seats correctly.

refinishing will be needed but that's just part of having woood on boats.

Some might suggest not sealing the bottoms so that any moisture won't get trapped in the wood. I would consider sealing the ends, though, but you have to be very careful not to get any sealer on the surface you will paint.

QC

Supreme Mariner

you could also use the epoxy, then paint it
Annnnnd, you could also use Epoxy and then finish with the Spar Urethane. This is how wood boat builders get the durability of the Epoxy and UV protection and wood grain ;)

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Make sure you use the urethane on all sides of the wood. Otherwise moisture will penetrate the untreated side and warp the seats.

Spar Urethane is a relatively new product. For years all marine applications used Spar Varnish, becuase the urethane didn't hold up to the uv rays and other environental things. Just for fun, I would ask a knowledgable paint/stain guy, if the Spar urethane is as good or better than the varnish. Remember large chain stores like the Home Despot sell stuff they like, not what is best. HD really trys to sell only latex exterior stain, but Oil based exterior stain is vastly superior to latex exterior stain, in my opinion. Also oil-based hardwood floor urethane is vastly superior to water-based hardwood urethane, again IMHO.