V6 135hp 1988 Impeller change question.

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Gday all,
Want to do an Impeller change and (Mercury) manual says have in nuetral when removing gear housing.
Then when re- assembling,it says shift (gear housing)in forward gear and then to place (guide block anchor pin) into forward gear position.I have the EZ shift gear housing.
Is this just a safety thing and could i just shift to forward gear before i remove gear housing?
If not could anyone help with manual shift on gear housing and anchor pin?
Also does the remote throttle also need to be in forward gear position?
Thanks Paul.:confused:

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: V6 135hp 1988 Impeller change question.

Set it to neutral, remove gearcase, replace impeller, wearplate, gaskets and reassemble in neutral.

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks Chris,ill give it a go.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Be a whole lot easier if in forward as manual calls for.....

1. Tilt engine to full up position and engage the tilt lock lever.
2. Apply a light coat of Quicksilver 2-4-C w/Teflon Marine Lubricant onto driveshaft splines.
...................................CAUTION...............................................
DO NOT allow lubricant on top of driveshaft. Excess lubricant, that is trapped in clearance space, will not allow driveshaft to fully engage with crankshaft. Subsequently, tightening the gear housing nuts (while excess lubricant is on top of driveshaft) will load the driveshaft/crankshaft and damage either or both the powerhead and gear housing. Top of driveshaft is to be wiped free of lubricant.
3. Apply a light coat of Quicksilver 2-4-C w/Teflon Marine Lubricant onto shift shaft splines. (DO NOT allow lubricant on top of shift shaft.)
4. Apply a thin bead of G.E. Silicone Sealer (92-91600-1) against the top of divider block.
5. Insert trim tab bolt into hole in rear of gear housing to driveshaft housing machined surface.
6. Shift gear housing into forward gear and place guide block anchor pin into forward gear position.
7. Position gear housing so that the driveshaft is protruding into driveshaft housing.
8. Move gear housing up toward driveshaft housing while aligning shift shaft splines and water tube with water tube guide (in water pump cover).
9. Place flat washers onto studs (located on either side of driveshaft housing). Start a nut (a) on these studs and tighten finger-tight.
10. Start bolt (b) at rear of gear housing inside trim tab recess. DO NOT tighten bolt at this time.
11. Recheck shift shaft spline engagement and correct if necessary.
IMPORTANT: Do not force gear case up into place with attaching nuts.
12. Evenly tighten 2 nuts (a) which were started in Step 9. Torque to listing in “Torque
Specifications,” preceding.
13. After 2 nuts (located on either side of driveshaft housing) are tightened, check shift
operation as follows:
a. Place guide block anchor pin into forward gear position while turning prop shaft.
Rotate flywheel clockwise (viewed from top); propeller shaft should rotate clockwise.
b. Place guide block anchor pin into NEUTRAL position. Propeller shaft should rotate
freely clockwise/counterclockwise.
c. Place guide block anchor pin into REVERSE gear position. Rotate flywheel clockwise(viewed from top); propeller shaft should rotate counterclockwise.
IMPORTANT: If shifting operation is not as described, preceding, the gear housing must be removed and the cause corrected.
14. Install washers and nuts (c) onto studs (located on bottom center of anti-cavitation
plate). Torque to listing in “Torque Specifications,” preceding.
15. Install special flat washer and nut (d) on stud at leading edge of driveshaft housing.
Torque to listing in “Torque Specifications,” preceding.
16. Torque bolt (started in Step 10) to listing in “Torque Specifications,” preceding.
17. Install trim tab, adjust to position in which it had previously been installed, and tighten bolt (e) securely.
18. Install plastic cap into trim tab bolt opening at rear edge of driveshaft housing

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks Fazt,my manual says the same thing.What I'm asking is how to do step 6.Shift gear housing into forward gear???How do I do that??? Do I get a wrench and spin shift shaft spline?if so which way??How do I move the guide block anchor pin??Do I also need to shift remote throttle into forward also???

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Thats the reason you shift control into forward, now you have to disconnect shift cable and push shift arm/block full forward. You will turn the shift rod CW while rotating prop and it will fall into gear. I install and line everything up, rotate the prop CCW to turn drive-shaft to enter crank splines and use a small pocket pair of channel locks to tweak the splines if they aren't quite aligned. (and before someone yells,it wont hurt turning impeller backwards if you lubed the impeller housing as they will correct themselves in just a couple of revolutions of engine)

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Gee, I leave her in neutral, drop the gearcase and repair the pump. Shove the DS back into the midsection, and turn the flywheel a bit to line up the splines. I use a needle nose to line the shift shaft up with the coupler. Only use finger pressure to tighten the gearcase nuts until the gearcase seats to the midsection. Then tighten securely with a wrench. This avoids stripping the crank splines.

Seems real easy. Not sure why the factory manual makes it so hard.....

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thats the reason you shift control into forward,
Sorry,i missed the reason.
Ill try it in neutral as im not sure about how to shift gear other than at forward controls.Let you know how i go.