why is it when the outboard gods smile the wife doesnt?!

omcnut

Seaman Apprentice
just picked up another johnyrude 9.9 88 model this time cost me 50 bucks and only had a stripped throttle shaft!:Dallwas good with the world ...then the wife found out!so i gently explained (LOL)that i would give on buying old out boards when she stopped collecitng teddybears(594 at last count) and hand bags that went over like a lead ballon!:eek:but what the heck ive still got a great new motor;)

nwcove

Admiral
Re: why is it when the outboard gods smile the wife doesnt?!

tell me about it.......i now have 21 motors here in the basement.....latest is a 1985 6hp, but the others range from 1926-1963. i now try to hide any new purchases amongst the others.....but somehow she keeps count? i keep telling her " i could be spending money on worse things.....like liquor, other women, gambling.....or just wasting it!" :p
she just doesnt understand!! lol

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

They never do, Im just glad to hear my wife is not the only one!

At least I cleared a path to the washer/dryer for her!

They should try to be more productive and hunt down motors for us, clean them, etc....

I thought that would be a good hobby for her ;)

nwcove

Admiral

gee..thanks JB, i passed along your thoughts about the wife hunting down and cleaning up old motors for me.......now theres a racoon....eating my supper.... in the driveway!!! i think shes having a bad night with motorpause....or is it menopause....or both??? lol
i just hope that racoon is enjoying my supper!!!

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

$50? What a screaming deal! My wife is pretty good about my engines. I have about 70 or so in the back shed which she rarely goes to and sees. And when I sell one I make sure to tell her how much $$$ I made on it to put a positive spin on my hobby! She used to complain when I tested them in the garage in a barrel though as it would smoke up so much you couldn't see anything. I gotta admit it wasn't great for the lungs either! So now I test em outside... sucks in the rain and dark though.

fireman57

Captain

I got up to 10 engines in my garage and my wife didn't know I had that many until I mentioned it one day. Me and my big mouth. Good thing I do most the cooking around here.

nwcove

Admiral

......was kidding about the racoon thing.....they,re hibernating now. it was the neighbors dog.....enjoying my supper.

TN-25

Chief Petty Officer

Omcnut, you are a brave man! I take it you laugh in the face of danger. I have 5 motors stashed around, but when I was at only 3 motors she suggested that I throw them away :( The house is currently undergoing renovations and I made sure there was a place to keep them safe and out of sight. She?s happy, I?m happy. If wifey?s not happy there is no chance of the man of the house being happy. Tread carefully, bringing up the wife?s purse obsession (tell me about it ) can be fraught with peril. You can be right, or, you can be happy. ;)
$50 is a screaming deal no matter what becomes of it.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It has been many years since I had a garage and a basement full of outboards you guys might be willing to kill for, but I never had conflict with my wife (still the love of my life) about it. She always met me halfway on those things. There was a lot that I might have grumbled about except for payback. She allowed me my recreation and I allowed her hers; we cooperated on family stuff.

I suggest you make a contract with your spouses about what you may do without her involvement and some quid pro quo that allows her some freedom that she wants that does not involve you.

She is your life partner, treat her like one and she might treat you like one. :)

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Well, my current collection just went up to number 11 this weekend and this coming weekend, I'll get number 12. All but 2 of them are runners so I don't feel bad. I'm a single man, so that gives me less to compromise about with the S.O. My girlfriend however, likes to hang out with me, whether I'm working on my outboards, truck or my house. I consider myself lucky, that my lady is not like the typical. After all, she was brought up with two brothers who were part of derby car competition for some time. :D

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Boy, you guys sure know how to make me feel lucky! My wife sent me a text the other day with a pic attached - nothing kinky! Just two old outboards in the back of her car and a short "Your welcome". Seems a co-worker had mentioned her husband was cleaning out the garage and had them by the curb. My wife picked them up on her way home from work!

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Yep Chinewalker, you got a good one too. The best woman to have, is one who helps you bring them home and who helps you tinker with them. :D:D

durban

Master Chief Petty Officer

fortunate not to have any wife in the way of my hobbies , i find them on the dump for next to nothing & rebuild them currently x3 , 70hp x1 60hp , 60hp fully rebuilt, with some conversions

Attachments

• Photo0280.jpg
    Photo0280.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Photo0284.jpg
    Photo0284.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Photo0285.jpg
    Photo0285.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 0

kfa4303

Banned

I love the funky, Halloween paint scheme durban. Did you do that, or is it factory?

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Wow. Great paint job and those are funky colors... and not factory!

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Boy, you guys sure know how to make me feel lucky! My wife sent me a text the other day with a pic attached - nothing kinky! Just two old outboards in the back of her car and a short "Your welcome". Seems a co-worker had mentioned her husband was cleaning out the garage and had them by the curb. My wife picked them up on her way home from work!

Holy cow Scott, you must have the best wife on the forum! :)

omcnut

Seaman Apprentice

:)well all in all im not doin too bad she was more upset than i was about the failed fishin trib and she baits her own hook!

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Married a good looker in 85...still haven't been able to shake her, or her me for that matter...and don't think I'd want to. We have each other well trained, but that took about 10 years. Way back when she complained that my pile of firearms was taking up closet space and wanted me to get rid of them. Next day she came home and found me inventorying the closet...mostly her shoes. I suggested she was at 10:1 in shoes to firearms ratio and that we should have a garage sale...I'd sell one firearm for every 5 or so pairs of shoes that she sold. Never heard any more about that...but I did build her a nice shoe rack and move my long guns to an old camel-backed trunk my granddaddy gave me...they stay cleaner and well-oiled in there anyway. As for "the change," good luck brother...that can go on for 2-3 years, just gotta weather through it.