12' 1968 Trailerboat Restoration; Zinc Chromate or Self-etching primer for Aluminum?

Blue_dingo

Recruit
Hello, I recently got a 1968 trailerboat that is in need of some work. The boat is 12' riveted aluminum boat with a V-prow, but for the most part a flat bottom. Not only are there a few leaks in the bottom seams, but the two coats of nasty paint that was on it were flaking off bad.

As seen in the photos, I stripped off all the paint and am getting ready to sand and prime the thing. I'm going to put gluvit in seams on the outside and inside, before priming and painting the boat. As much as I love the look of aluminum, I'm going to have to paint it as this boat is going to be used for duck hunting, so I can't have reflective surfaces. After much research, I have come to the conclusion that I need to put on either Zinc chromate or self-etching primer before laying on my topcoat.

Is there a benefit to using one or the other? It seems they are very similar in what they do, but I'd like to hear from people with experience.

Any other advice would be welcome!

Attachments

• Boatpaintstrp.jpg
    Boatpaintstrp.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 0
  • boatstrp2.jpg
    boatstrp2.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Boatstrpd.jpg
    Boatstrpd.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 0