Rod building

Fishing Dude too

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I am looking for place to get rod blanks. I have tried Mud hole, Jan's Netcraft, Cabela's and haven't found what I want. Anyone else have a supplier for rod blanks and supplies?

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Rod building

What are you looking for that Mudhole does'nt sell?

sasto

Captain

A friend uses Batson. I've fished with his finished product. Really good stuff. He sells them for a pretty penny.

Good Luck!...Fishing Dude.

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

Sounds like you want a short flyrod? Maybe you could shorten a longer, moderate UL, or flyrod blank by cutting the butt off?

Fishing Dude too

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Cabela's doesn't carry that spec anymore. Have thought about cutting a flyrod but would like to find this blank. I want it for a perh rod makes for fun doubles and can feel the fish

veritas honus

Lieutenant Commander

Whether you can or can't find the action you're looking for, you can alter the action of any blank with the placement, length, and taughtness of your wraps. The closer to the butt the bend starts, the slower the action of the blank. The closer to the tip, the faster the action. To slow down the action, you can lengthen the wraps starting at the tip and increase the taughtness, gradually decreasing length and taughtness as you get closer to the butt. This will decrease the flex at the tip and allow more flex to begin closer to the butt.

You've stated that you want a 6' ultra light rod and "feel the fish". Knowing this, I'd imagine that you don't want to use underwraps. This requires a choice to be made. You can sacrifice a little bit of sensitivity for a good amount of altered action. By using an underwrap, you not only have the ability to alter the action to a greater degree, but you can also camoflage the lengthened wraps very well. You can do this by making the elongated ends of the wraps the same color as the blank, and change the color at the point at which you want to reveal the underwrap. If you can't find a close enough color match, you can buy NCP thread instead of color preserved. Get as close as you can to the color without being as dark as the blank. Custom mix your own dye to match the blank. Put a coat of color preserver on the underwrap and let it cure completely before applying one or two very thin coats of epoxy. Let the epoxy cure completely before placing the guides and wrapping.

I've underwrapped several ultra light rods. If done well, the sensitivity sacrificed is so minimal, you'll still easily feel live bait weaken as time goes by. You'll still be able to tell the difference between your rigid lures hitting submerged rocks or branches. Depending upon how much you need to alter the action of the blank, you may not even need underwraps at all. If you don't use underwraps, you can use the same color choice/dying method I've described for the wraps themselves. Personally, I prefer the look of underwraps. That's just my personal preference.

Hope this helps.

Fishing Dude too

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yes I have tought of more wrapping but wanted to keep to a min. Like I said I use these 3 sorces and was hoping someone had other sources for rod blanks. Will find a longer rod with mod and cut to length. Thanks to all for info, will start looking for a blank I can cut.

veritas honus

Lieutenant Commander

Yes I have tought of more wrapping but wanted to keep to a min. Like I said I use these 3 sorces and was hoping someone had other sources for rod blanks. Will find a longer rod with mod and cut to length. Thanks to all for info, will start looking for a blank I can cut.
Sorry, just occurred to me... Have you thought about contacting Fenwick, Lamiglass, ect....? It'll be pricey, but they'll spin a blank to specs... May not be as pricey as one would expect.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I don’t understand your desire for a slow action blank in that application. What are you trying to accomplish? The sensitivity would be marginal at best (slow = fiberglass blank) and the backbone being so far down the blank will compromise your hook sets.
I would use a fast to mod-fast graphite blank in the applications. The Lamiglas GFW-721L or a GFW-721M, depending on the size of your query, would work very well in the application. If you’re looking for less expensive blank, take a look at the American tackle ACSJ-720 or trim down a ACSP-781

Fishing Dude too

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Desire is IM6, hook set is never been a problem. I had one like this that came from Cabela's bu hey that was 20 years ago that I bought it, was broke when son steped on it last summer getting on boat. He felt bad about it. I just enjoyed the rod and woud like to build another. I build about 10 rods a year to keep busy, fix a few, never charged for doing anything other than cost, and want this one for me.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Desire is IM6, hook set is never been a problem. I had one like this that came from Cabela's bu hey that was 20 years ago that I bought it, was broke when son steped on it last summer getting on boat. He felt bad about it. I just enjoyed the rod and woud like to build another. I build about 10 rods a year to keep busy, fix a few, never charged for doing anything other than cost, and want this one for me.

You’re not going to find an IM6 slow action blank. The higher the modulus, the faster the action is going to be. That’s just the physics. The best you’ll find is a moderate action blank.

Look into one of the blanks I suggested. The sensitivity of these blanks is way beyond anything built 20 years ago and the reduced weight of the rod makes even a minnow’s fight feel like that of a champion.