What's a decent not too expensive motorboat?

swells

Recruit
Hello, I'm interested in buying a motorboat with the indoor house thing, and challenge the rough waters of the Atlantic. I'm completely new to this and need some advice. Which brands of boats should I look for and which ones should I avoid? I'm looking for a small boat, for two or three people. how much would I need to spend?
Also I don't have a trailer so I would need it to be Parked by the water.

Does GPS work in the ocean? Where do I go to get the real big ocean swells?

thanks,

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Re: What's a decent not too expensive motorboat?

Welcome to iboats.......lol... if this is a serious question you need to just stop here.... unless your idea of a "small boat for 2 or 3 people" is 300 feet "small boat" plus "real big ocean swells" = meat suit in lion's cage

GPS = GLOBAL Positioning System.... yes it works anywhere on the globe

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Welcome.

GPS will not work IN the ocean, but will work ON the ocean.

Most boats that are trailerable, come with a trailer.
Trailerable boats are generally under 26 or 28' in length.
A boat that size requires a serious truck to tow it.

Really big swells in the ocean? Check out the Bering sea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axW2XUhrjbo&feature=related

"indoor house thing" , to live aboard? or for a weekend trip?
For 2-3 people?

Not too expensive? A relative term. What is too expensive for me, is a drop in the bucket for someone else.

$10,000 or $200,000 tell us your budget.

No offense, but you really should get your feet wet before buying a boat. And take a Coast Guard boating course for sure.

soggy_feet

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I pray that this is an April fools joke months too early.

If not, along with your GPS, make sure you have a marine radio to broadcast your distress call location. VHF will only work between 10-20 miles, depending on antenna height and transmit strength, but you probably wont get beyond that range before you're in need of help...

tpenfield

Staff member

Hello, I'm interested in buying a motorboat with the indoor house thing, and to challenge the rough waters of the Atlantic. I'm completely new to this and need some advice. Which brands of boats should I look for and which ones should I avoid? I'm looking for a small boat, for two or three people. how much would I need to spend?
Also I don't have a trailer so I would need it to be Parked by the water.

Does GPS work in the ocean? Where do I go to get the real big ocean swells?

thanks,

Where along the Atlantic ocean are you located? Why do you want 'big swells' and to challenge rough waters as a novice?

There are a huge number of boat brands, and it all depends on your budget as the other posters have indicated.

My advice would be to find a buddy that does boating and tag along for a while. Go to some boat shows - lots of them coming up in the next few months. Hang out at marinas. Go 'look' at some boats for sale, etc.

veritas honus

Lieutenant Commander

I can answer all of your questions with 3 words...

Boaters Safety Course

Well, that doesn't really answer all of your questions; but taking one will save lives... Yours and anyone you bring on a boat while challenging the rough waters of the Atlantic, and its "real big ocean swells".

Seriously... Start with a Boaters Safety Course, and go from there. In the meantime, there's a lot you can learn with the search button and simply reading threads on iboats. But definitely take that course.

Philster

Captain

The OP should be advised that they are years away from achieving the given goals, even if they find the right type of boat and have a million-dollar budget.

There is a learning curve that must be addressed. It starts with boating safety courses and related learnings.

I want to buy a jet fighter and engage in mock dog fights against other aviation club members. < Can you see why this goal won't happen with just money and the right plane? If so, the analogy is successful.

cyclops2

Banned

Assuming he is sincere.

RENT small boats & run them ONLY in the bay WITH a PAPER CHART. When you can SAFELY do a 17' to a 19' bow rider in & out of windy...About 15 mph... gusts, then move up to about 22'. Master that ...RENTAL... Then try a 24' to 26' boat RENTAL.

Why do I keep telling you to rent ??????

Simple.

Boats are pushed all OVER the place when docking in salt water CURRENTS & WINDS.

THEY NEVER ARE AS CONTROLLABLE AS A CAR.

ANYTHING ABOVE 17' ............DOES REQUIRE............SOMEONE ON THE DOCK TO QUICKLY TIE LINES ON TO IT. Especially with your experience levels.

Most important.................You MAY NOT LIKE the danger & risk of crashing your boat into others.

You will be forced to pay HIGH insurance costs & ORDERED to leave a marina if you crash too often.
Boating is not a place for people who lost a car license and need a place to raise Hell on.