Pontoon boat trailer screw jacks

Silver Eagle

Master Chief Petty Officer
What's the recommended weight of a screw jack for a 24 ft pontroon boat that weighs in at around 2500 lbs. plus the trailer.?

Blank-N-Ship

Seaman
Re: Pontoon boat trailer screw jacks

If I understand your question correctly it has to do with the tongue weight of the (properly) loaded boat-on-trailer combination.

2,500 lbs for the boat + 1,200 lbs (approx) for the trailer = 3,700 lbs combined
tongue weight at 10% of total = 370 lbs
tongue weight at 15% of total = 555 lbs

A typical trailer jack might have a capacity of 1,250 lbs so you'd be within the range of safety given that 555-lb figure above. Even if your trailer weighed 1,500, the combined weight would be 4,000, the tongue weight max would be 600 and that's half of your typical trailer jack capacity in this case.

Silver Eagle

I'm going to wait for a warmer day in the middle of the week and go back to the marina and reinstall my 1,000 Reese tongue jack. I have a better back plate to put on the jack. The old one was just two metal pieces that bent top and bottom and made the jack loose. This one won't come loose.

Silver Eagle

I bought a 1500 lb. jack with dual wheels from harbor Frieght this weekend I will try it in the spring. too cold right now.