First time boat buyer..... Help!!

SeaRay175

Cadet
Hello everyone
I'm looking at buying my first boat. My plans are for weekend trips to KY Lake, or. Weekend on the Ohio River. I'm looking at a 17'-18' bow rider. Will be my wife and two kids. Don't want to spend a lot on first boat. I've found some decent Sea Rays out there, which I'm told are good boats. I'm not wanting to get into a debate of Ford vs Chevy when it comes to boats,.....BUTTT..... I came across a boat that I'm not familiar with. It's a 2000 Celebrity 180 Bow rider. Owner claims boat has been properly maintained, runs great, great shape inside and out. Has 4.3 mercruiser. Tried researching boat and I'm coming up blank! I have discovered they quit making boats in 2001. What are your thoughts. I can get this boat for around $5900 from private owner. Price sounds real good. It's also an inboard motor. Don't know the pros or cons against that either. I've found a 1999 sea ray 175 br for same money. I/0 4cyl. Boat in great shape as well? I/o motor. So, am I looking at the right size boat for me and my family? Any advice from the room would be greatly appreciated.

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: First time boat buyer..... Help!!

Condition and maintenance are more significant as a boat ages. Sea Ray is a 'better' brand of boat. I would look at as many boats as you can - you will learn something with each boat that you look at.

As far as engines - bigger is better. So, in that regard the Celebrity may be favorable. An engine that has not been run in a while is suspect and requires further investigation and testing. Ideally, you want to take the boat out for a test ride and put it through the paces ( aka Sea Trial). Keep in mind that most engines will run fine with no load. so, just because it runs great in the driveway, does not indicate that it will run great on the water. A Compression test and even a cylinder leak test are all good things to do to evaluate an engine.

Structural integrity will be a big concern with older boats. Soft spots, delamination, transom, floor, stringer rot are all things to be aware of.

Seller's will always speak highly of their boats, so take all that with a grain of salt and form your own opinion.

Use NADA.com to validate your thinking on pricing. NADA can be a bit low in some cases, but it is a reference point to keep in mind.

Let us know how it goes, we love to help buy boats !!!:D

oops!

Supreme Mariner

Hi....welcome to iboats.

Lots of questions in there....lol....lets see if we can sort some of it out...

But first off....this is one of the fastest moving forums on the net.....any question on a boat ...it has been discussed in great detail here.
Use the search function ....on things like ob vs i/o.....and you will come up with a ton.

When you start talking the narrow line between a 17 foot and a 19....you are right on the line between a v6 and a 4 banger for power

For a small family......4 people ,...and a first boat....a 17 with a 4 is just fine.....some of the newer lighter 4 cyl boats can give good power and great milage for small dollars.....
But in just a few years.....a larger boat will be looked for.

A few rules of thumb.......
No such thing as a bad boat.....only a bad owner...so look at the condition of the owners OTHER toys....see if they are in great shape. (if the owner is anal about is stuff....chances are his boat is in good shape)

Some of the guys here can tell you about a Celebrety....I have not worked on one yet...but I can tell you that I am a big fan of searays.

You are in the PRIME time for deals on boats....the next 40 days.....The prices are traditionally the lowest you will find.

Let the fun begin

cheers
oops

ziggy

Admiral

i don't know about celebrity's either. but with older boats, imho, the statement,
Condition and maintenance are more significant as a boat ages.
is the crux of the situation.

fwiw, and imho,
don't believe the seller on anything they say. they may have reason to lie or play ignorant.. if ya wanna be sure it don't have wood rot, you need to do your best to confirm yourself that it don't have wood rot. i use wood rot as an example because nothing else about the boat will matter if it has wood rot. that will have to be fixed 1st prior to anything else.

also, don't buy a boat w/o a sea trial. kinda hard to do this time of year, but just because a boat will run on the trailer, don't mean it'll run 'proper' when splashed.

as far as hp is concerned, always get the most ya can. no body ever says i wish i had less hp for my boat. they do however wish for more. ie. many come here asking how to get more, say out of the 165hp L6, like i have. the real answer is ya don't, it is what it is, if ya want more get a different boat with a bigger engine. might as well start with the bigger engine. ;)

SeaRay175

Cadet

Ok, talked to both sellers since reading your advice. Both are Firm at $6000, and won't budge. Sea ray is a 1999 and is a 180 BR. I think I said 17 earlier. SEA has 4 cyl. I asked him would there be any problems with me bringing somebody from a local marina over to look at it and he said sure, no problem. Here is his ad. 99 searay, very clean, about 175 hours, has cd player, h20 tower, wakeboard rack, 3.0 4cyl, gets great gas mileage, will throw in life jackets, brand new tube, ropes, etc.

Contacted guy about Celb, and asked him same question about having it inspected, and he hesitated a little and said, well, that's all up to you. Does have 6cyl. Doesn't come with any extras. It's a tough one. I'm really leaning towards the Sea ray, just because I don't know anything about Celebrity other than there out of business. Does this sound like fair prices or if I wait longer, will I find better deals? What to do, what to do! Haha... Ohh, guy with Sea ray said H2o is about an extra $3000. Does that sound right?

oops!

Supreme Mariner

add a grand to 1200 for the tower.

it has to be a really good tower to add 3k to the price.

install on the typical tower is 500

ziggy

Admiral

again. don't believe the seller, they lie. either have it inspected by a pro or do like i did and find a buying a used boat list on www. i found one with 4 pages of inspections. i went through every one prior to sale. mine was a consignment sale at a dealer, the dealer said he'd never seen anyone inspect a boat more. i took it as a compliment.

so the searay has a tower on it w/ a 4 cyl. engine? if i was a water skier, the 4 cyl. is pushing it for being capable. you'll have a min. of three on board when skiing. driver, skier and spotter. extra weight affects smaller boats a lot generally speaking.
as for the extras on the sea ray. cd player etc. hohum. extras aren't worth much. you'll likely end up changing it anyways. boat condition and engine/drive package are most important.
also, a '99 w/ 175hrs on it. to low of hours can be just as harmful to a boat as to many. lack of use ruins boats and that one has an average of 14.5 hrs a year use. that's just a couple of outings a year. i wonder if pm was kept up on that boat.

not trying to knock the searay, just bringing up some ideas. food for thought ya know..

southkogs

Staff member

Just from the sounds of things, I'm leaning toward the SeaRay too. But, it's going to require seeing them ... and the seller. If the seller doesn't give you a good vibe, add that into the equation.

FWIW - my folks have a 19ft. with a 3.0l Mercruiser. It's a 2000 model and as a family cruise, ski boat it handles rather nicely. It's not blow-you-away fast, and it's not competition level for skiing, but the boat wasn't designed for those either.

Enjoy lookin' - - kinda' half the fun.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

a buddy of mine has that exact same searay with the same engine and a tower.... the boat will run 40 mph (gps) and pulls 3 adults on 2 big tubes WAY faster than I care to be towed. That said, he bought his in the middle of last summer in PERFECT condition with under 100 hrs for $3500... That was a stellar deal but this time of the year, there are stellar deals to be had.... both of the boats you mentioned are priced at the top of the range for summer.... look hard and you can either cut the price or get a LOT more boat for the same price.

Also don't even look at the year of the boat at first.... look at the condition, style, and drivetrain.

Where are you located? Sounds like you may be somewhat close to me.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

kogs i had a 4 banger in my old ray......i dropped it in after the in line 6 was deemed a total loss.....

the boat did great with 4 people and a person draging on a rope... it was actually just fine...i dont race..but i was happy with the power.

tpenfield

Staff member

Looking for used boats is often a game of compromises. The Sea Ray sounds like the better boat, but the Celebrity has the preferred engine. Don't be too anxious to buy at this point. You need to do some looking. Make sure to check NADA. The wake board tower adds about $750 to the base Searay.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

OH and btw... my friend and his family had gone out with me several times on my 28'er and decided to buy the sea ray as their first boat. I had tried to talk him into a bigger (23'-25') from the start but they were firm on a small bowrider and I found them the smokin deal on the ray...... less than 3 months into being boaters they started wanting something bigger for overnights and protection from the weather.

They'll likely sell theirs in the spring and find a bigger boat..... I'd bet $$$ to doughnuts that you'll want a bigger boat too.;)

rte592

Cadet

Sea Ray makes a good boat
As for a boat at the 18 foot mark >>> The 4cyl IMO is a $1000 off the asking price right off the bat >>> just becuase everyone wants at least a V6.

I'd hold out for a V6 but It's your first boat
IF you like the boat and would be willing to get close to the $6000 Asking Price
offer $1000 less and let the owner make the desision for you :D

You can always go back with a full price offer.

SeaRay175

Cadet

Hey Smoke, does your friends want there money back? Haha. Well, I'm not going to rush into any thing. And the celebrity only has 120 hrs on it. Emailed sea ray and he said he would do $5500 and keep all the vest and tubes ect. I do like the idea of having a 6cyl, or more. There is a really nice looking Sea Ray in Indianapolis Craigslist from a dealer. It's an older one yet, but looks brand spanking new. I'm going to re-read all of your advice and ponder some more. I just talked to some friends that have had boats for years and said Sea Ray is tried and true like a Honda. But both thought the Celebrity was as good as boat. With that being said, there referring to both being in good condition. Oh, and I'm in Evansville, iN by the way. I really truly appreciate all of your advice. Glad I joined the site!

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

I didn't put much thought into any of those.... just some ideas for ya... If by chance one of em interests ya we can all look into it more

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Hey Smoke, does your friends want there money back? Haha. Well, I'm not going to rush into any thing. And the celebrity only has 120 hrs on it. Emailed sea ray and he said he would do $5500 and keep all the vest and tubes ect. I do like the idea of having a 6cyl, or more. There is a really nice looking Sea Ray in Indianapolis Craigslist from a dealer. It's an older one yet, but looks brand spanking new. I'm going to re-read all of your advice and ponder some more. I just talked to some friends that have had boats for years and said Sea Ray is tried and true like a Honda. But both thought the Celebrity was as good as boat. With that being said, there referring to both being in good condition. Oh, and I'm in Evansville, iN by the way. I really truly appreciate all of your advice. Glad I joined the site!

He's gonna turn a nice profit on it.... he will prolly be in the 6k range.... Although I think you can find more for less, if you DO decide to spend that much pm me about it as iboats doesn't allow open buying and selling in the forums.

SeaRay175

Cadet

Ok, I guess I'm really showing my green now. In a boat with a cubby, doesn't that leave less room on the top side of the boat for passengers. I love the idea and have pondered it a lot because I would love to do overnights down at KY Lake. My buddy has two slips there and said I could always park one there for the weekend. Now, do these boats work good for sking and tubing as well?

SeaRay175

Cadet

And that's Cuddy, not cubby. Thank you auto correct!

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

yes the cuddy replaces the bow seating but often nobody wants to sit up front anyhow.... kids often love to hang out on the cuddy

also a bigger 21 plus cuddy has much more room in the back than a 17'er