All in One Computers?

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
Lately I'm running into a full hard drive on my old desktop so an upgrade may be coming soon. I'd been looking at the cheap eMachines CPUs (don't really need a monitor but the bigger ones are glittery) that Walmart sells. Then I got sidetracked into looking at all in ones. I like the idea of freeing up the floor space and possibly some desk space but it seems like the AIOs anywhere even close in price I'd have to give up processor speed and storage.

FWIW my right now is a 5,6 maybe 7 year old Gateway inter4 3Ghz, 200GB HD, and 2.87GB ram. I know the cheapest upgrade would be to just get a bigger hard drive but this old Gateway is probably due for retirement anyway. Also I'm neither here nor there on the touch aspect as I almost think I'd rather stay w/ a mouse and keyboard anyway.

So I come to some that I hope are more tech than me asking am I missing the boat on some fantasicness or are my performance opinions pretty well founded? Are there some AOI machines in the same CPU price range I should be looking at?

I wouldn't mind spending more than the WM cheapies on an upgrade but don't want to pay through the nose for space saving and less perfomance.

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander
Re: All in One Computers?

We have a touch screen AIO as one of our store computers, and I never use the touch screen. I had a touch screen laptop, that I never used the mouse/keypad on, but it was used for a different purpose.

Quite frankly, what you have now (Gateway inter4 3Ghz, 200GB HD, and 2.87GB ram) is pretty quick, and not very outdated as far as speed goes. For under $90, you can get a second HD with 1TB capacity, or even easier, you can get a 2TB external for $139. You'll NEVER run out of space, and you won't have to go through the hassle of transferring all of your stuff.

Of course, there is always the 'shiny and new' side of the story. How important is that to you? I guess I'm cheap, and would just upgrade the HD. If you want some more speed, add some memory.

southkogs

Staff member

I'll start by suggesting that if your computer is doing what you need with relatively few problems the easiest and cheapest answer is to buy an external hard drive. You can get 1TB of memory for relatively little money - which also adds a place to back-up your computer in most cases.

I pulled the rip cord, and spent the extra pennies on an iMac for home 2 years ago. If you can hold out a little longer to move to a solid state iMac you may find you REALLY like the machine. <end of sales pitch :p>

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

Hadn't thought of external drives, that maybe just the ticket.

That said, I've been happy w/ the performance since I upgrade the ram. However since the video chipset on the motherboard burnt out years ago I've been through two video cards all the while still giving me the glitch of video loss from time to time. Coupled with the unforeseen lockups some days this thing annoys me to no end. Maybe I'm just tired of bodging this one alone even though I know with a new one I'm sure in a few years I'll be right back it. Always seems that way anyway.

I also can only upgrade one more step to 4GB ram which I'm sure should still cover me for awhile but when the new show starting with 3-4 and ability of 6-8 coupled the space saving of AOI I'm really temped by the "shiny and new".

southkogs

Staff member

...even though I know with a new one I'm sure in a few years I'll be right back it. Always seems that way anyway.

...I'm really temped by the "shiny and new".

Always works that way on both accounts.

One thing to look at is Apple TV when considering a new computer right now. Depending on what kind of a user you are, Apple is probably going to pull another rabbit out of it's hat like iTunes. Within a couple of revisions of the new Lion OS, the iPad technology and iMac technology are likely to merge into a whole new breed of PC. If you're a light productivity user and a heavy entertainment user (including video and social networking) ... it might be worthwhile to hold off a little.

Redneckhick

Seaman Apprentice

What op system are you running? ME and Vista has a lot of problems. I have loaded XP Pro on a lot of machines for people and they are all happy and claim that the machines run a lot faster than new.

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

Redneck - XP home on this but the wife has win7 on her laptop and hasn't really had any problems so I guess I'm not fearful of that.

Southkog - How long is a little while? Not going to do anything for a few months anyway.

espeed09

Cadet

I built myself two custom computers so far. Sold one, the other just recently died (user error). What is funny tho is that I have a really old Dell that I call "the tank". Its an old Pentium 4 w/o hyper-threading and the only thing I have done was replace a cd/dvd drive and added another hard- drive. I have yet to upgrade the memory or anything else.

Now as for your situation, I am actually torn. If you only need more hd space and can live with the video issues, then just get an external. I say external because if something does go wrong...its not likely to be affected and can just as easily be hooked to another computer.

Now if you are really getting tired of the video issues, I would honestly check out Craigslist for a used computer. Don't buy anyone's "custom gaming machine". Odds are they f'd something up and need to unload it to some unsuspecting person.

As for all-in-one's, I haven't had a LOT of experience with them. Just find something that suites your needs and you price, don't go fancy or you will be upset when it becomes outdated 4 days later.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

I'm not a fan of all-in-ones. They simply don't allow for the kind of flexibility and expansion capabilities that I require. If your needs are simple, one might do the trick for you. That said, remember that if anything breaks in the machine, the whole thing is down.

I would join in with the others in recommending one or more external HDs. I have two and don't store any data on the HD of my main machine. The #1 external is used for active storage and the #2 unit is for backup. I back up about once a week and disconnect the drive, when I am done.

Because of this setup and the fact that I have other computers in the house, a disaster on my main machine does not put me out of business. I can easily connect the drives to another computer and go right back to what I was doing. The most complicated thing about that, is that I usually have to reassign the drive letters on the alternate machine, once the drives are plugged into it. This is because the other machine usually assigns something different than the original and some programs (MS Outlook, etc.) need to see the same drive letter as before, in order to access data.

southkogs

Staff member

Southkog - How long is a little while? Not going to do anything for a few months anyway.

I'm going to say a couple of years, but I don't really know. AppleTV was Steve Jobs' last project, and I think it's going to be a real game changer much like the iTunes store was/is. Apple for the last couple of changes (iPads, for example) has made entry into new technology "reasonably" attainable (not like when VCR's really came into the market and you only really "knew someone who could afford one").

That said - research it a little, and base it on what kind of user you are. Personally, I wouldn't wait for it because my use of video is rather low (I'm also an Apple guy, but not a "gadget" guy). However, video usage is on the rise nationwide and many people do TONS of video on their game systems, Netflix, etc., etc.

Gotta' go with what fits you, though. If you can drag your machine out a year or three (and do what you need to without much frustration), then bump over to some "star trekky" AppleTV rig that really fits you - cool trick! If you can't hang on that long, buying a $500 box now and then upgrading in three years isn't crazy either.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Your current gateway is probably adequate for what you do. It's reporting 2.87 GB of memory because that's all the operating system can see you probably have 4GB and that's just right at the edge of being adequate for todays operating systems and apps. A hard drive upgrade is probably all you need if everything else is working for you.

Regarding the AIO's, I've got one user with one and they seem to like it. They have no real use for a computer other than the email and the Internet so it works out good for them. I would never buy one for myself because of the way I use one. I might buy one for the kitchen or family room.

You mentioned the glitzy displays. I would consider an upgrade in that area. A new video card and a 24" LCD screen will be an amazing change for you.

Windows 8 is due to be released soon. You're going to find a lot of systems that are being sold off dirt cheap right now because they won't run the new OS. If you decide to buy new, I would wait until Windows 8 is available.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Bought my current two Dell machines here, added a 2nd 2T drive and DVD burner.

Still running my old Dell P3 @500 with Win98, its a tank, slow, but always works. Not stock, tweaked very hard.

Of course all are plugged into my battery back-up power supply which I've cheated slightly, tossed the original small gel cells, ran heavy gauge wires out to two deep cycles. I can run all my machines, and externals for days if the power goes out. And never have to worry about any power-line fluctuation damaging any of my electronics.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I'd buy a laptop before I'd buy an all-in-one.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

You mentioned the glitzy displays. I would consider an upgrade in that area. A new video card and a 24" LCD screen will be an amazing change for you.

I couldn't agree with this more. My main CPU is about 5 years old, is moderately fast, with adequate memory, but not a huge amount. I do a lot of photo editing, so "screen territory" is important to me. I expanded my system by adding two video cards with lots of memory. I have a 24" monitor in the middle, a pair of 20" monitors on either side (for tools, etc.) and a 19" square monitor on a side table for shortcuts.

I am perfectly content with a less than state of the art CPU, but I can't imagine working with less monitor capability. You get very spoiled when you can open a bunch of windows, without any of them overlapping. More than anything, it makes a computer desktop more like a real desktop, where you have files and documents spread out.

So, as I sit here fooling around, I am writing this in one window, have a PDF document open in another, a couple of folders open and am watching a TV show on one of the 20" monitors. With all of that, I still have space left. Give me monitor space or give me computer death!!!!

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks for all the food for thought guys.

While the video issue annoys me, this thing does serve my needs fairly well and I've got better projects to spend $$ on. Seems like for a bit less money than the cheap Walmart eMach I can get an external and replace the 2 512rams w/ 1gb and probably keep it chugging along.

And good lord Jay I think I'd get whiplash looking around at all those monitors:)

dolluper

Captain

might want to beef up your power supply also could be whimping out giving you some of your video problems....external drives are nice for sure no messing around ...very hard to fill up too

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

You can have a very good all in one, but you have to build it to the extream end of things, I do that around ever 5 years or so, I just build my self a new one 6 mounths ago

AMD Phenom II 2.8 gig 6 core processer
16 gigs of ram
2 nivida GT 450 1 gig vid cards
2 one terabite hard drives
blue ray drive
meda reader
creative titanium sound card
1500 watt power supply
2..24 inch monitors
6 fans
windows 7..64 bit

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

might want to beef up your power supply also could be whimping out giving you some of your video problems....external drives are nice for sure no messing around ...very hard to fill up too

When the last video card went out I replaced it with an Nvidia GeForce 8400 GS. At the time I had also read about power supply problems causing video loss, so I upgraded the 3-350w original to a 500w which did little for the problem. Could it be that I didn't upgrade far enough?

MH - Is that an actual AIO unit? Also if you don't mind, could you give an idea of cost on that?