Merc. 140 Bad riser/elbow allowing water to fill manifold??

Nachos to go

Recruit
hi ,everyone I hope some one can help me with this prob.<br />I have a 1984 Four Winns Horizon 190 with the merc. 140 that doesn't like the water for some reason I'm on like a 6th attempt to get it going on the water. It will run great on a hose but soon as I run it up the lake and shut down for a little bit to get things ready to have fun I'll fire up the engine and go to accelerate and it falls flat on its face!!It dies won't fire back up,if it does fire up it's just enough to idle but then dies again. I'll haul it home and hook it up to water and it runs like the devil!!I'm wondering if water is backing up into my manifold after I shut down?could a bad "flapper" or riser cause this?<br />Some of the things I've already done/ checked:<br />-New after market elec. fuel pump, clear filter to verify fuel flow.<br />-rebuilt carb.<br />-rebuilt outdrive/ not seized<br />-new plugs,points wires cap,coil<br />-kill switch checked (throttle interupt)<br />-batteries good<br />-new fuel lines<br />-no water in oil<br />-lower exhaust checked for blockage<br />-all new bellows<br />I don't know whats going on but I did take the upper exhaust off and noticed that the flapper valve was GONE and the end of my elbow is ate away from corrosion but not leaking out of the rubber exhaust bellow when on the the water.It still seals with two clamps and not ate through.<br /><br />I've been towed in enough times to pay for a used boat!It will run up a lake about 2 miles full throttle or close to it(4500rpm), but won't come back after shutting her off.<br />I just recently limped it back into dock(500 yards) on a less than 1000 rpms and feathering the gas to keep it running but would die constantly if I tried to throttle up. I basicly ran it it in on my starter with the drive engaged with a little vaper help. ANY IDEAS?? Thanks

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: Merc. 140 Bad riser/elbow allowing water to fill manifold??

Welcome to iboats... :) Have you tried loosening the gas cap when this occurs? Have you changed your water separator? Looked at the anti-siphon check valve? In that order.......J

Nachos to go

Recruit

Thanks, No I never ran without the fuel cap off Could it be clogged (vent for fuel)? and cause it to stall ? I ran all new fuel lines and I know that its getting fuel,I looked at the clear filter I installed right before it enters the the carb.as it dumps on its face and its full.<br />as far as the water separator I don't have one??? or i don't know what to look for anyway...Thanks for the ideas I'll look into them

Nachos to go

Recruit

FYI ,I tried taking the fuel cap off and it did the same thing, no luck. It almost act like water is backing up to far into the riser??Maybe getting into the manifold and mixing with the fuel causing it to fire funky??...