winterizing boat

Status
Not open for further replies.

shrpshtr

Seaman Apprentice
hey all,

1st winter as a boat owner. i haven't had a chance to get my 21' sea ray winterized yet this year (local guy is swamped all the time) and it's supposed to get down to the mid-20's the next couple of nights. can i put a brooder (heat) lamp in their with a 250w heat bulb and prevent any chance of rusting? is that enough or too much heat? is it safe (fuel fumes, etc.) i would winterize myself but i am not sure how. any help would be greatly appreciated.

shrp

Alwhite00

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: winterizing boat

What engine & drive do you have?

LK

Cheetah 210es

Petty Officer 1st Class

Check out the stickies for winterizing. Its pretty painless to do yourself. :)

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

The winterizing is not painless. It is a PIA (that is not officially painless).

Your choice is to do the winterization your self, or do some stuff to prepare it to survive until the mechanic gets to it.

You must drain the block and manifolds must-must-must, or you will suffer from a cracked block. Less chance but still real is possible water in the gearcase.

If I was going to wait for the mechanic, I would pull the two drain plugs on the block and one on each of the two exhaust manifolds. Stick something into the block and manifold drains to poke them clear. Now the water will drain. After the water drains, dump a bit of antifreeze into the block hose and watch for the color to emerge from the drains. Ditto for the manifolds. Now drain and change the gearcase oil.

You are now pretty safe to wait for the mechanic. Of course, if you want to do the whole job yourself, look at the winterization stickys/posts in the I/O section.

thumpar

Admiral

Winterizing is not to prevent rust as much as it is to prevent a cracked block. Get that water out of the engine.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Winterizing is one thing, Draining the cooling system will prevent freeze damage until your mechanic can do the full winterization is another thing.

You don't need a 250W heat lamp to do the job, a trouble light with a 100W bulb under the engine and not touching anything flammable will keep it from freezing in 20+ degrees if the bulb doesn't burn out.
You really need to learn how to drain your engines cooling system, and trust me, there have been a bunch of changes of the years of how that's done.

Basically, you need to drain both sides of the block, both manifolds and risers, pull the big hose off the engine circulation pump, and drain the power steering cooler if you have one.
When you remove the drain plugs, use a piece of stiff wire to make sure the holes are open. They do get plugged up at times.

shrpshtr

Seaman Apprentice

I don't have room to get the lamp under the engine. Have a 75 watt bulb in brooder lamp (large silver cone) in the engine compartment now. It's basically just pointing down on motor. The hatch isn't closed all the way though. I lowered the foot all the way and a little water drained out of that. None sitting in the hull or anything like that. I would attempt to drain myself but don't have a manual and don't have a clue what pipe is what. My buddy said his water lines on his sea ray are color coded but he has a smaller motor.

Don S

Close the engine hatch, the 75w will probably work fine, if it doesn't burn out. Without a year or serial number, we have no clue what setup you have, and the year of your boat may not be the year of your engine.
You need to learn how to drain your engine BEFORE the temp drops, so you have time to ask questions, get answers and get the job done. Don't just put it off till the freeze hits. That's why people have cracked blocks and need new engines.

shrpshtr

Seaman Apprentice

Both the engine and boat are 2007 models. I can put a 250w bulb in it if necessary. I agree about learning to do it myself. Unfortunately I have one of those boat guys who "could do it in a couple days" several weeks ago but never got to it. I don't particularly care too much to be in the position I am in. Thanks for your help though.

Don S

You don't want a 250W heat lamp bulb in the engine compartment. Stick with the 75 and close the engine hatch to hold the heat in. It only has to stay 33? in the engine compartment.
What is your engines serial number, and what type of drain system do you have. Mercruiser does not list anything by year. Nor does the serial number tell us anything about the type drain system your engine has. Don't confuse the engine owners manual with the boat owners manual, two completely different companies. Unlike cars, boat manufacturers by engine and outdrive packages from either Mercruiser or Volvo If you have an engine owners manual that came with the boat, it will explain how to drain the engine and drive.

shrpshtr

Seaman Apprentice

I can't read the sn. The decal on top of the motor was cut in 1/2 before I got it. I couldn't tell you anything about the drain system. Is there somewhere I can look for the engine sn? I don't have an engine manual. Should I leave the engine in gear? I know none of that helps you much. thanks again for everything.

Don S

Take some pictures of your engine, we can look and hopefully see what you have.
There is a metal tag with the SN on it, just aft and above the starter. If you can't see it, use your digital camera and shoot in that direction.

Attachments

• Merc SN Location.jpg
    Merc SN Location.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 0

shrpshtr

Seaman Apprentice

thanks for the info. i had no idea a stamped SN was on the motor. best i can tell from the pics the SN is OW65748L. there are a couple i am not 100% sure of. the first letter is either O or D. the last letter looks like a 1 or L. thanks again.

shrpshtr

Seaman Apprentice

thanks for the info. i had no idea a stamped SN was on the motor. best i can tell from the pics the SN is OW65748L. there are a couple i am not 100% sure of. the first letter is either O or D. the last letter looks like a 1 or L. thanks again.

it looks like it is OW657481. that # is the only combo that would return any result on parts site that searches for parts by SN.

shrpshtr

Seaman Apprentice

Why do YOU search for parts online?

"I" don't, other than to verify if I gave the guy trying to help me a valid SN. but thanks for pointing out my ignorance, appreciate that...

Don S

The SN worked with a 1 at the end but showed a carbed engine, with only one drain system. Your engine should drain with the blue plugs shown in this drawing. Like I said earlier, pictures would be a BIG help to be sure.

Attachments

• Untitled3.jpg
    Untitled3.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 0

Pete104

Lieutenant

Knowing this now (if that # is correct) there are 5 blue plugs. Turn them out (counterclockwise) & poke the holes to eliminate any sand, corrosion, etc. You'll be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.