omc jumps out of gear

harley1

Cadet
i have a 1988 fourwinns with a 4.3 merc/omc outdrive. last year had the shift cable replaced while outdrive was off for minor repairs. recently outdrive began "popping" out of gear at about 3500 rpm only does it at that rpm sometimes doesnt happen all day sometimes 10 times a day. when this happens, pull throttle back to nuetral, put back in gear and go on. engine nevers revs, cuts out nothing. had shift cables readjusted, no difference. driving me nuts please help

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: omc jumps out of gear

yep<br /> it only takes a few skips and the dog and gear are toast. may be time for a teardown and inspection. when you say pops out of gear. does it go back to netural or is it a clunk like it it a log or something hit the transom ?

harley1

Cadet

no there is no clunk, no noise, nothing. it's just like you loose propulsion. pull throttle back into nuetral, put back into forward gear and its like it never happened shifts back into gear as smooth as can be. is it possible hub could be spun in prop? never heard of one doing quite this. if it is dog gears am i doing more damage continuing to run?

cslaufer

Cadet

If it is a dog clutch ? Gear problem, there is a very good chance that the damage is already done, Check the oil drain Magnets for any metal,<br />That where I'll start looking.

harley1

Cadet

tahnks for the help will check for metal at drain first then go from there

KaGee

Admiral

Unless you have overlooked it, you should be hearing something from the outdrive if your gears are jumping in and out.<br /><br />You could have a bad prop hub. Check it too.

harley1

Cadet

cant really say i have heard anything from the outdrive of course it usually happens when the better half has the stereo up. will try to listen did check oil, see no metal smells ok. did try changing prop seemed to happen maybe a little less frequent however spare prop has been sitting around for about 5 yrs. could that hub be bad as well thanks for the ideas

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> if it was the dog jumping you normally feel it. it will feel like the transom got hit with a bat. its usually somewhat violent. I am leaning towards a prop hub or coupler failure. mark the prop and the prop shaft nut with paint. if the marks move after it slipped its the prop hub. also if you can get to it mark the aft end of the coupler and the drive shaft. there again if the marks move you found the lost motion.

sea wolf

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If the gears were shot u would have known it by now. What's a merc/omc drive?

harley1

Cadet

thanks for all the advice, plot thickens. took prop off and marked, reinstalled prop. ran for about three hours, problem was 10 times worse. happening at all speeds over and over. removed prop it appears that there has definately been some movement. going to try a new prop, however why would r&r of prop cause it to get that much worse? even caused engine to stall a couple of times. Thanks

harley1

Cadet

O.K. guys tried new prop and still happens. Just when we thought it wasnt going to happen it did it again only happend at higher rpms this time. WHATS UP I CANT TAKE IT ANYMORE. someone suggested shift interupt switch may be breking down. is this apossibility do you think how would i dertimine if so :confused:

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If your prop hub was bad, you would gain a lot of rpm, and loose speed. Then after doing it the first time it would get worse and worse until the boat wouldn't even move. Only a couple of times trying to get to speed and the prop would be toast.<br /><br />If the drive is jumping out of gear, it's because the cable is either bad (Most Probable cause) or out of adjustment (They don't just suddenly get out of adjustment) or the drives clutch dogs are rounded and won't hold into gear. And once they start rounding over, they also get progressively worse. If it is actually popping out of gear and back in, it has done it enough times now that the gears dogs are rounded over and no amount of shift cable adjustment or repacement is going to help.