115 Johnson= no gas again

goblerblaster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanx for all the earlier suggestions. Now my 2000 model 115 Johnson has been dieing if i dont pump the primer bulb.After 5 to 10 times of pumping the bulb , it will start running fine with no more bulb pumping required for the rest of the day. I have replaced the primer bulb, checked everything I can find for an air leak and can find nothing. About every third time I go out, it will start perfect and run perfect with no primer pumping needed at all. That makes me think that the VRO pump is OK, or how would it fix itself? What I have discovered is that when I run it on muffs and it starts to stall out from lack of gas, I can turn the red arrow deal that has a valve stem like on a tire on it and it will pick up and keep running. If I have the arrow pointed down and it stalls, I can turn it up and it will pick up and run. If I have the arrow pointed up and it starts to stall, I can turn it down and it will pick up and run. What exactly is that and can anyone suggest what might be going on? Once it starts to run without having to pump the bulb, it runs perfect, idles perfect and starts perfect. I have a repair manual on order, but this seems like something fairly simple and I sure would like to get to use the boat until i have to go back to work Tuesday. Any help or ideas would be appreciated

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: 115 Johnson= no gas again

You have either a top cover cracked/leaking on top of the vapor separator, air motor on VRO or VRO itself has a problem. The manual primer valve your turning gets it fuel from the vapor separator and it does not have to be pressurized as engine vacuum will draw the fuel out while running when you do this. I would test the VRO pump with a vacuum tester when it acts up as I have been seeing the oil pump plunger sticking(o-ring) and not allowing VRO to cycle properly on my customers...