87 Sea Ray Restoration

justinh

Recruit
I just started my second boat restoration. 1st one was a learning experience. I am working on a 87 Sea Ray Sorrento 21 foot open bow. I thought i could just replace some soft spots in the floor, but upon further investigation, this is not the case. I will be replacing all the stringers and transom. :(

I am doing more research this time trying to do the best job i can, and have a few questions.

What is the best way to build the cover for the in-floor gas tank? The original design had a large removable plywood panel, but it seems like this area is the first area to allow water intrusion, and had the most rot. I have seen a video where a permanent panel was screwed down and glassed over. If I did this I would use one of those plastic access covers for the fuel sending unit in case of future problems. Any thoughts or experiences? Pros and Cons?

Thanks

CaptainKickback

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 87 Sea Ray Restoration

Hey justinh, welcome to iboats. You'll get lots of help here.

What experience did you gain from your first restoration?

Regarding your fuel tank cover, I know many boat designs just cover over it with a non-removable floorboard, figuring if you have to replace the tank, then the floor, and probably the stringers, need to be replaced as well. But, all I have seen do provide an access panel to the sending unit and usually the hose connections. So, doing the same should be no problem for you.

One question though, are you putting in a new tank or staying with the old one. If you are going to use the old tank, I would design the cover to be removable. It doesn't have to be a lift out panel (hard to seal, like you said). But one where you can take it out if you have to without tearing up the entire boat.

I hade a Cruisers Yachts 2870 and the fuel tank sprung a leak. The tank was under the aft berth, but the cover was bolt in. So, we were able to swap the tank without damaging the boat. True, this was inside, away from the elements, but if you seal yours properly, you should have no problem with water intrusion.

Good luck.

justinh

Recruit

On my first restoration, i learned about boat construction. I have never had a boat before, and i picked one up for a cheap price. As things go, it was way more work than we expected, but we pushed through it and fixed it up. The majority of the restoration was in the floor and stringers. I didn't replace the stringers all the way from front to back, and basically sistered in some new stringers to the old. Which now i regret. There are many things I would have done different after researching these forums, but thats how you learn I guess.

I was hoping to not have to replace all the stringers on this sea ray, but they gotta go. Front to back. There is a small amount of rot in the transom where the stringers meet up. From all the research I have done here, it sounds like the entire transom must be replaced. I am having trouble trying to figure out how to deal with the replacement of the stringers and deck under the open bow area. I do not want to split the boat apart. I was hoping to just lift up the fiberglass front and try to work around it??? Thoughts??

As far as the gas tank, thanks for the response.... the tank appears to be in great shape. It is aluminum. I was thinking of sealing it up similar to friscoboater's method where he uses a seperate ply panel over the tank, but glasses it in. It could be removed down the road if needed, just not super easily.

I will post some pics of the project to this point.

Thanks!!

justinh

Recruit

As you can see from the pics, i am also missing the starboard glass. I have unsuccessfully located any salvaged glass and now I am considering using a plexi or lexan windshield. I am concerned with scratching, but have not found another affordable option. Any experience on this?

Thanks

oops!

Supreme Mariner

Hi justin....welcome to iboats.

unfortunately.....wind shields are one of the most expensive parts of restoring a hull.

I just dont see lexan working in that particular design.

iboats sells replacement wind shields.

as far as the gastank cover.....i would just glass the whole thing in......but make sure there is adequate drainage to the bilge.

keep the pics and the process coming.....we love a good restoration project here.

cheers
oops