Need a new steering helm, I think -pic- New helm or cable? Or both/neither?

tivoli410

Cadet
First off, thank you for looking.

Backstory: While trying to unfreeze the steering from the motor tube I broke the helm steering while pulling on the wheel too hard while hammering the cable end back in.

Here's the pic: When turning the wheel, the coil looking inner part of the cable moves in and out.

Questions:

1. Is this coiled looking inner part, part of the cable or the helm?
2. If the helm needs to be replaced, how do I remove the cable from it? (I've researched and determined the helm is the 4.2 NFB Rotary helm and I believe I need to remove the second bolt from the top where the cable goes in. Correct? Ideas?)
3. If I replace the helm, should I go ahead and replace the whole cable? It doesnt cost much more than the helm itself but how hard would it be to route the new cable? Seems like a large pain.

Steering.jpg

Steering2.jpg

tivoli410

Cadet
Re: Need a new steering helm, I think -pic- New helm or cable? Or both/neither?

Wouldn't let me edit the original..

Just wanted to point out that the second picture has been rotated 180 degrees (was reading the writing) and add that the boat is a BW 150 Montauk. If routing a new cable, there is obviously access to inside the console and after that the only thing I have found is a circular cover on the stern, starboard side, before the cable exits to the motor.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Pull those two bolts in the bottom right corner of your bottom photo and have someone pull the cable and you might have to assist with the wheel.......... the cable will unthread and come out.

Then you just call iboats and have a new cable delivered...... the length is "usually" printed on the casing if not just measure it.

Your privileges should increase after your 5th post ;)

Bondo

Staff member

Wouldn't let me edit the original..

Just wanted to point out that the second picture has been rotated 180 degrees (was reading the writing) and add that the boat is a BW 150 Montauk. If routing a new cable, there is obviously access to inside the console and after that the only thing I have found is a circular cover on the stern, starboard side, before the cable exits to the motor.

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,...

That coily part is the cable,...

Yes, you need a Complete helm, 'n cable....

tivoli410

Cadet

The two bolts were what I expected, thank you.

Is the cable what is messed up or the helm itself? Or both? Right now the steering wheel turns freely but does retract/extend the inner coil part (is this part of the cable or helm?).

tivoli410

Cadet

Ok. I did manage to find a place on the cable that had markings. Looks like it is the QC 14' cable. Any ideas on running this new cable? Should I try to attach the new cable to the old and pull it through?

I was thinking it was just the helm. I have a guy who will unbolt the motor and remove the tube (wont clear without unbolting) and ream out the tube. He seemed to think it was just the helm and the cable would stay but he didn't take a real look at it.

tivoli410

Cadet

Pull those two bolts in the bottom right corner of your bottom photo and have someone pull the cable and you might have to assist with the wheel.......... the cable will unthread and come out.

Then you just call iboats and have a new cable delivered...... the length is "usually" printed on the casing if not just measure it.

Your privileges should increase after your 5th post ;)

Here is numero 5. Is that also why I can't click on the related threads at the bottom? :D

I'm starting to think that only the cable needs to be replaced. The steering wheel still pulls the coily part of the cable in and out. How would I see if the helm itself needs to be replaced?

I guess if I am doing the cable, might as well go with the helm as well but my curious self would like to know how to determine a faulty helm.

Also, any other ideas on running the new cable? Duct tape it to the old one and hope it pulls through?

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Ya, you need a new cable, looks like you pulled the cable out of the end that sticks in the helm and there is really no way to fix it now so you need a new cable and it shoudl just come right out when you turn the wheel, that is how you load them, stick the end in and turn the wheel and it pulls it right in.

Here are all the cables they have here at iboats and you cna try but the prices are normally the best you will find and the service is top shelf.
http://www.iboats.com/Boat-Parts-Accessories/dm/keywords.14" steering cable

tivoli410

Cadet

Thank you for all the help!