How to find 32 degrees before TDC?

seattle scott

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am trying to check/set the timing on the Chryser 1359HG (1977) with the Magnapower II CD unit ( see pic). The book says to mark the flywheel at TDC and also 32 degrees before TDC. The engine has the index tab mounted ( see pic) but there are no markings or timing decal on the flywheel. I can find TDC for the #1 piston and mark the flywheel above the index tab, but how do I find the 32 decree position without the special tool I am supposed to insert into the cylinder? Finally, to adjust the timing I assume I am screwing in or out on the towershaft adjustmentment screw in the middle pic and screwing in advances and screw out retards - correct?

Attachments

• timing index tab.JPG
    timing index tab.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 5
  • timing adjustment screw.JPG
    timing adjustment screw.JPG
    121.4 KB · Views: 3
  • magnapower II view.JPG
    magnapower II view.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 2

Nordin

Commander
Re: How to find 32 degrees before TDC?

First of all you have the Motorola MagnaPower CD ign. not the MagnaPower II ign. It is complete different.
How to find the 32 dgr. before TDC: This is a role how you find it roughly.
Count how many teeth you have on the flywheel, divide with 360 and then multiply with 32. Now you have how many teeth before TDC 32 dgr. is. You shall then mark to the left of the 0 TDC.

Jiggz

Captain

Or you can also divide 360 by the number of teeth and then divide 32 with the result.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

In your second photo, the retaining screw that threads into the distributor body is working out. Be certain that you screw it all the way down and tight. The flange should fet into a recess in the plastic block.

Screwing in (opening the gap between plastic blocks) advances timing and screwing out retards. The gap is USUALLY between 3/8 and 1/2 inch wide when timing is set correctly.

seattle scott

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Frank, good eyes. You were right about the retaining screw. I found the 32 mark by counting teeth and it looks like there is/was a mark on the flywheel that matched up. When I tried to set the timing using the static method with a test light between the coil ground and the dsitributor the light statyed on no matter how much I adusted the timing screw in/out. then when I tried the static method with a volt meter between the distributor terminals with the white/black wire removed, I didn't get any voltage no matter how far I adjusted the timing screw. I am assuming Ii should use the "breakerless" static timing method just going from the distributor leads, but wasn't getting any result. Maybe I will just borrow a timing light.

Nordin

Commander

If you measure with a voltmeter between the distributer terminals bluewire (connected) and white/black (disconnected) and turn the pully back/forward you should see the voltage go up/down 12V-0V or in the opposit 0V-12V depending which typ of electronic eye you have.
There were two typs, one that goes from 12V to zero and one that goes from 0V to 12V. If nothing happens the eye is bad.
Measure between blue wire and good ground on the dist. You should have 12V with key in IGN. possision. Also check that you have a grounding wire between dist. and engine block.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

102_6694.jpg

You don't need anything to static time that engine. Simply remove and ground all plugs so the engine will not start or kick back. Then , with the ignition switch on and the controls in full throttle, turn the flywheel by hand slowly and see where the top plug fires. Adjust distributor linkage so the top plug fires at either 30 or 32 degrees before TDC. (Late 70s, Chrysler changed timing specification from 32 to 30 degrees to account for poor marine gas quality) When you rock the flywheel back and forth a couple of degrees it should fire each time. In fact, once set at the correct timing position, if you press in on the drive belt and release , it should spark each time.

The line you found on the flywheel should be 36 degrees BTDC and it is used to find TDC by measuring the piston position or depth at that line. In other words, you use a special tool to set the piston to (example only--I forget the exact number and it is different for the 2.80 crank 105, 115, 120, 135 hp and the 2.875 crank 125 and 140 hp) .028 inches and then set the block pointer to match the line on the flywheel. The reason is because this is much more accurate than trying to find TDC with the piston at the top of its travel. I don't know the significance of 36 degrees and why they chose it instead of 32 degrees but it is 1/10 of 360 so that may be it.

IF the screws holding the block pointer are undisturbed or still painted, or if there are no scuff marks on the slots, you may safely assume that the pointer is set correctly to TDC and may time from it. Never mind---looking back, I see your block is unpainted and thus a replacement. You should double check pointer position. Without the tool, use a screwdriver to "feel" for the top piston at TDC and see if the 0 mark on the flywheel lines up with it.

I see that your block pointer has an arrow at the long line. I can not see other marks because of the flash. This is TDC. IF your pointer has smaller lines, 32 degrees is spark at 4 small lines to the left of the TDC mark with the 36 degree mark on the flywheel pointing at it.

Late 70s Chryslers had a decal applied to the flywheel and this (as you can see from the photo) only went to 32 degrees with a single line on the pointer. Note the position of the distributor pulley in relation to the 32 degree mark on the flywheel.

At any rate, whether you have marks stamped in the flywheel rim or a decal, the only important ting is to determine TDC and from there, 32 degrees advanced. Since timing at idle can vary a couple of dehrees either way, the ONLY important setting is 32 or 30 degrees--whichever you choose.

seattle scott

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Nordin and Frank thanks. TDC ( with a screw driver in the cylinder) watched up with the mark on the flywheel and with the center mark on the index tab and this matched up with the distributor curved line parallel with the flywheel. I will rotate the flywheel until the 36 degree mark is matched up with the #4 on the left side of the tab, ground the removed plugs, turn Key ON and adjust dist until it fires the #1 plug.

Frank, on my unpainted and therefore replacement block, where is the serial number and will the # tell me when it was manufactured?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

USUALLY--- If it is stamped it will be near the top of the block, to the left of the head. There may be a number and if you call Merc, they can access the database and give you all the info you need. However, this is not a certainty--your block may have no markings at all.

seattle scott

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Frank, that worked great. I will post a separate thread showing the spark while I flex the dist belt.