1969 mercury 500 harness and linkage removal ????

michaud500

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey guys I want to pull the motor from my bout to bring it indoors for the winter. I am most likely being over cautious. I have a Mercury service manual but the pic are not so good. I See that there is a spring type thing around the harness where it attaches to the head of the motor. Do I remove that and twist counter clockwise and pull on the harness???

Next and not so obvious to me are the throttle and shift links. I am at a loss for this one. Are there collars that hold the links together like old carb links to a BMW 2002 1966-1976 vintage???? Pull the collar and the joint of the link comes apart??

Thanks for any and all help!!!

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1969 mercury 500 harness and linkage removal ????

The wiring harness plug pulls STRAIGHT out. Don't twist it! Also, don't need to remove that spring - it's just there for tension on the outer part of the plug.

As for the cables, twist the latches that hold the trunions in place (the barrel nuts on the threaded part of the cable). Then you'll have to loosen (but do not remove) the screws that hold the cable end tip retainers in place. Then the retainers twist out of the way. Takes some gentle persuasion but they should come out fairly easily. Mark which one goes where with a piece of tape to make it easier when putting them back in later.