Ted Williams 7.5

slimshady20r

Recruit
Hey folks.
I have a Ted Williams 7.5 hp O/B model# 217.58850 / ser#4b-566628. It has the Tecumseh air cooled power head with neutral/reverse. My problem is that the prop is always engaged but the prop can be turned backwards. From what I have read the clutches tend to give trouble. After getting the lower leg off I found the culprit. The drive spring was rusted and stuck the the shaft. My question is does anybody have a good spring that they could post a pic of for me ? Just want to make sure mine is ok. Something tells me there might be a tab missing. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

thanx , Jimmie

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral
Re: Ted Williams 7.5

You likely can find a new spring at certified marine corp. I gather that the spring was notorious for rusting out and giving problems, but they worked good when freed up. Welcome to iBoats and in this forum, mrcrabs is a good source of information to help you out on the Ted Williams/Eska built motors. I hope this helps you out. Happy New Year.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Is that Certified Prats Corporation, or Certified Brats Corporation. :D:D

MahtyMaht

Chief Petty Officer

LOL - I got the fat finger disease - maybe cut'n'paste is the answer;

Certified Parts Corporation
1111 W. Racine St.
Janesville, WI 53545-4553
1-800-356-0777

M

mrcrabs

The drive spring was rusted and stuck the the shaft.

That would be the nuetral clutch PART NUMBER: 56026, the spring is inside and sealed and is unrepairable, to test the clutch after removel from the crank shaft just hold the collar and spin the top and bottom solid parts, when the spring collar is released the unit will lock or should., your forward and reverse lever locks and unlocks the collar with a cam, some call it the shift dog on the Eskas, theres also a nuetral lock spring that locks the throttle on TG models.
:)

The spring has a tab sticking out from the collar if its rusted or busted off then its junk or you can weld it and or leave it and have direct drive
Ebay is your best bet, There was one or 2 on there for around 35$ 2 days ago...certified will not have it....nobody wil....go Ebay and search all catigores; Sears outboards or Eska parts.