1996 GM Mercruiser oil sending unit problem

ydrahmij

Cadet
My friend's 1996 Bayliner with the 181 ci GM 4 cylinder engine lost most of its oil. I discovered that the oil filter had three holes in it resulting from a rusted housing (talk about good PM). Since the engine had lost a significant amount of oil, I decided to pull the engine and check the lower end bearings for heat or wear damage. Luckily, he had shut the engine off when he heard the valves begin to clatter and the bearings showed no signs of abnormal wear. While preparing to reinstall the engine in the boat, I discovered rust holes in the oil pressure sending unit. I purchased a new one from my local auto parts store. The problem is that when I start the engine, the oil pressure gauge immediately pegs to 80+ psi. I teed a direct reading gauge into the system and it reads between 40 and 45 psi which is more of a normal reading. I exhanged the sending unit for another one and it does the same thing. I recall having a similar problem with an oil sending unit purchased at the same store on another boat a few years ago. Is there something I don't know about oil sending units? Does a marine application require a special oil sending unit? Any insight will be appreciated. I am about at my wits end.

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: 1996 GM Mercruiser oil sending unit problem

Yes, the oil sending unit needs to be compatible with the gauge. If you still have the original sending unit, you may be able to get some ID numbers off of it. Also, look at the brand name on the gauge, if possible.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

You also need to make sure you did not use any teflon tape when you installed it. It needs to ground itself to the block.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

The spec for the sender is 33-240 ohms... 33 ohms at full pressure (~80 psi), 240 ohms with no pressure. Any unit with that spec will do the job.

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Good info, must make a note of that.