Sea Ray 180 Br or Bayliner 1950 Br

cuhland

Recruit
I live in Boulder, Colorado and am trying to buy a first family boat. We have been looking and our eyes have been set on two boats. 1997 Sea Ray 180 Br, and 1997 Bayliner 1950. Both boats have a 3.0L Mercruiser that looks to be in good condition. The Sea Ray in for sale for $7,450 and the bayliner is $4,800. Both have covers, cd players, bimini tops and good condition trailers. Any ideas of which one we should pursue? Also questions I should ask the sellers?
Thanks,
Cole

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: Sea Ray 180 Br or Bayliner 1950 Br

Hi welcome to iboats. !

IMHO.....the ray is a better boat. but that is pricy for that age.

it is impossible to say with out pics....

but remember this rule of thumb.......no such thing as a bad boat.....just a bad owner.

look at the owner....is he anal about his stuff?...thats the boat for you. look for a garage kept boat, that sparkles (not the paint lol)

there is a lot more to it than that......the other members will be along in no time with other things to look for such as rot...soft decks...compression ect.

cheers....and again welcome.......
oops

p.s. even after you decide on a boat.....remember iboats.....we can help with any and all questions you have about your boat and boating in general.

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: Sea Ray 180 Br or Bayliner 1950 Br

Sea Ray is generally regarded as a better brand of boat than the Bayliner. Given the price difference and slightly larger size, I would keep the Bayliner in high consideration.

Things to check and/or ask:

Titles to boat and trailer :)

Hours of usage on the engines

Look at the outdrives for corrosion, damage

Compression test of the engines

Soft spots on the floor, deck areas, transom, stringers and other structural components :eek:

When were these boats last used

If they have been stored for a period of time, what were the storage preparations (fogging, fuel stabilizer, etc)

Let's go for a ride (sea trial) :cool:

Check the hull for blisters, deformations, delaminations, impacts, etc.

Also, check nada.com for boat values. NADA is often a bit low, but still a good reference point . . . and who is to say what is actually low these days.