NEW here and could use a bit o` help...please :)

guitarsjm

Cadet
hello....

seems that our moving to sunny fl has pushed us to getting our first little fun boat. we have our eyes on a very nice, clean, with trailer, cover and bimini top, etc. 120hp eng. oh, its a 1996 sea ray rayder. after doing a great deal of research, this seemed to be right up our alley for 'fun' as well as price. we went to see it today and was pleasantly surprised as to how nice in shape it is. the owner keeps it covered so there is no sun damage, just some light fading on the decals, the seats were redone from blue to white. oh, its the F-16 model. someone who was interested in it, took it for a spin and due to being an idiot, hit some 'wall' while in reverse breaking off the reverse plate/gate assembly and the cable connector for it. figures. other than that, it is in darn good shape. everything works, lights, blower, bilge pump, new cd/radio and speakers, all work fine. also, the owner had the oil delivery system changed from a pump system to a gas/oil mix system which is said to greatly reduce risk of massive engine failure due to oil issues. he had it done at a marine shop and to date, the engine is in top shape as is the jet/impellar assy. so, to us, not bad for 1600.00; he was asking 2200 OBO before the fool broke off the plate, but lowered it to 1600 to allow for parts. guess you can see where i am headed. i know these boats have a fairly decent following but parts may be an issue. i am good with anything as long as i have a manual. so, the current owner knows where to get reverse plate/cable. i need to get the snap on carpet as that is not there and a few tiny cosmetic pieces that would help start to bring this cute boat back to a much finer state like one of the bimini top post arm brackets, stern nav light socket cover...little things...plus i wouldnt mind getting a new guage housing and steering wheel as those are decently faded from use. any guidance would be greatly appreciated and forgive me, if i am in error, for posting in this thread as it is a bit hard to find in here exactly WHERE to post this. i thank you and look forward to being here and getting back some great help!

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander
Re: NEW here and could use a bit o` help...please :)

get a compresion test on that motor--they are fun little boats but 120hp is on the low end for power and it has most likely been run hard .
I may be great but have it checked out.--and welcome to iboats.

DaNinja

Lieutenant

Sorry, I couldn't read the post.
The "Enter" key is your friend.
Welcome to iBoats, though. Great people and expertise here.

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

hello....

seems that our moving to sunny fl has pushed us to getting our first little fun boat. we have our eyes on a very nice, clean, with trailer, cover and bimini top, etc.

120hp eng. oh, its a 1996 sea ray rayder. after doing a great deal of research, this seemed to be right up our alley for 'fun' as well as price.

we went to see it today and was pleasantly surprised as to how nice in shape it is. the owner keeps it covered so there is no sun damage, just some light fading on the decals, the seats were redone from blue to white. oh, its the F-16 model. someone who was interested in it,

took it for a spin and due to being an idiot, hit some 'wall' while in reverse breaking off the reverse plate/gate assembly and the cable connector for it. figures. other than that, it is in darn good shape. everything works, lights, blower, bilge pump, new cd/radio and speakers, all work fine. also, the owner had the oil delivery system changed from a pump system to a gas/oil mix system which is said to greatly reduce risk of massive engine failure due to oil issues. he had it done at a marine shop and

to date, the engine is in top shape as is the jet/impellar assy.

so, to us, not bad for 1600.00; he was asking 2200 OBO before the fool broke off the plate, but lowered it to 1600 to allow for parts. guess you can see where i am headed. i know these boats have a fairly decent following but parts may be an issue. i am good with anything as long as i have a manual. so, the current owner knows where to get reverse plate/cable.

i need to get the snap on carpet as that is not there
and a few tiny cosmetic pieces that would help start to bring this cute boat back to a much finer state like one of the bimini top post arm brackets, stern nav light socket cover...little things...

plus i wouldnt mind getting a new guage housing and steering wheel as those are decently faded from use.

any guidance would be greatly appreciated and forgive me, if i am in error, for posting in this thread as it is a bit hard to find in here exactly WHERE to post this. i thank you and look forward to being here and getting back some great help!
:cool:

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

a 120 jet is like an 80 hp outboard.

Is that the Force based engine? or a true Mercury engine?

If it is Force, it would explain the price.

Tell the seller to fix the broken stuff and you will pay him $2000. .

Good luck finding and boat/model specific parts to replace any of the items you mentioned.

guitarsjm

Cadet

a 120 jet is like an 80 hp outboard.

Is that the Force based engine? or a true Mercury engine?

If it is Force, it would explain the price.

Tell the seller to fix the broken stuff and you will pay him $2000. .

Good luck finding and boat/model specific parts to replace any of the items you mentioned.

its a TRUE merc as he gave me the merc parts site for the reverse plate. anyone know where you can get the snap on carpet or any other pieces for it? hey...its not much, prob cost us about 2 g's with the part. so we figured, get it, use it, have some fun, find a newer (better one), sell it and move up. not bad for our first. thanks for the welcomes and replies. just keep the help coming!!

tpenfield

Staff member

Welcome to iBoats. It sounds like you have found a nice boat for yourself.

Just a side comment about the "fool" that broke the reverse plate. . . it might have been more foolish on the seller's part to let a 'stranger' take the boat out for a test drive in the first place . . . He tested it alright.

I hope it all works out.

guitarsjm

Cadet

Welcome to iBoats. It sounds like you have found a nice boat for yourself.

Just a side comment about the "fool" that broke the reverse plate. . . it might have been more foolish on the seller's part to let a 'stranger' take the boat out for a test drive in the first place . . . He tested it alright.

I hope it all works out.
yeah i know... the guy told him he knew how to control the boat... u gotta trust sometimes, but, the owner should have done the driving so this wouldnt have happened. i found all the engine/drive components from LM Marine.. the reverse gate parts are pretty cheap..... so thats good... now, i just the carpet!! thanks again

nlain

Commander

The carpet can be custom made to fit, if you have the snaps in the boat they can make a pattern and make it fit. Depending on where you are in Fl we have a member on here that may be able to help you out with the carpet.

guitarsjm

Cadet

The carpet can be custom made to fit, if you have the snaps in the boat they can make a pattern and make it fit. Depending on where you are in Fl we have a member on here that may be able to help you out with the carpet.

that would be great... we are in north lakeland, 33810. thanks. there are snaps on the floor; none are missing... hey, if am in the wrong forum to be asking for help, please redirect me, if its ok here.. thanks... if anyone knows where i can get any other type of body parts like rope tie offs, canopy arm/rod receiver ends (the piece that the rods go into with a slide pin), gauge housing and stuff like that, where i can get either used or new... thanks again! been unable to find the forward/reverse cable.... HELP