'53 super fastwin....new pull-start rope: where to buy?

mark in new jersey

Petty Officer 2nd Class
'53 super fastwin....new pull-start rope: where to buy?

That's the question...what are you using for replacement rope and where do you buy it?

The old rope is 7/32" diameter, and is a braided construction of some sort of very stiff rope. Entering the Evinrude part number (42A137) into any of the part number searches on popular engine websites gets me nowhere.

What kind of aftermarket rope are you all using for a small engine pull-start?

mn

Will Bark

Lieutenant
Re: '53 super fastwin....new pull-start rope: where to buy?

I went to Lowe's with a piece of the old rope and found what I needed; I guess Home Depot would have the same. Good luck

F_R

Supreme Mariner

That '53 originally had a metal core, cotton covered cord. No longer available. Use hard braid nylon. The soft limp stuff won't hold up. In fact, none of it will if you pull the rope all the way to the end. You must avoid doing that.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

My "real" hardware store carries all sorts of lawn mower pull cords. All are stiff braided nylon.

mark in new jersey

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys!

I drove down to West Marine and, as stated above, the steel-core rope isn't available...

But they had stiff-braid 7/32" halyard line that had a 4000 lb (wow!) breaking strength. Since there's no way I'll ever yank that hard, I bought a few feet of it.

The old cord had that cool brass stop-hook soldered on the end....it was easy to unsolder it, clean it up and epoxy it to the new line.

So that's one more thing checked off the to-do list!

Thanks for the info,

mn

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Let us know how the epoxy job works.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Thanks guys!

I drove down to West Marine and, as stated above, the steel-core rope isn't available...

But they had stiff-braid 7/32" halyard line that had a 4000 lb (wow!) breaking strength. Since there's no way I'll ever yank that hard, I bought a few feet of it.

The old cord had that cool brass stop-hook soldered on the end....it was easy to unsolder it, clean it up and epoxy it to the new line.

So that's one more thing checked off the to-do list!

Thanks for the info,

mn

Yep, those '53 Fastwins were built when they had the best quality. You can't beat 'em. :D

boobie

Supreme Mariner

What brand/kind of epoxy did you use ??

lightwin

Cadet

I've had good luck with using flag halyard with a wire core. It looks like the old stuff but is a slightly smaller diameter. You can still solder on the old clips as well. There are dozens of flag halyard places selling the line. Unfortunately it costs more to ship than buy.