Axle Measurements

rkersh409

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I pulled my axle today to find out why my tire was leaning in and this is what I found.
2011-12-29151515.jpg

So I am looking for an axle and found some good deals online but need a little help.

I measured from end to end and got 97" with the center of the leaf spring hole at 74 1/4". I cant seem to find one because everyone goes by the tack measurement. How can I get my track measurement with the hubs and axle off the trailer?

Also I cant really read my bearings but think its stamped L44549 outer and L58149 Inner but should they be L44649 and L68149?

As far as springs go do they just come painted? Can't find any in galvanized.

Thanks,
Robert

a1nowell

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Axle Measurements

rkersh409,
Try www.huskytrailers.com, they are a Houston company with stores at I45 & Shepherd and 10814 E Hardy in Houston. I changed my axles on my tandem trailer this past spring. First of all most boat trailers axles are not your standard length that is stocked at most trailer stores. Not to worry, Husky sells axle kits that have everything need to redo your trailer. They will have an axle made for you at no extra charge but usually takes about 10 days. The measurments you need are overall length, distance from hub face to hub face and distance from spring eye mount to spring eye mount.

rkersh409

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks JB that helped a lot.

Of coarse mine came out to an odd ball measurement of 92 5/16" from hub face to hub face (track). Would It hurt to go with a 92" or 93"?

Bondo

Staff member

Thanks JB that helped a lot.

Of coarse mine came out to an odd ball measurement of 92 5/16" from hub face to hub face (track). Would It hurt to go with a 92" or 93"?

Ayuh,... The spring perches need to be where they gotta be, 'n the tires can't rub on anything,...

Go look at it, 'n See if you can get by with a 92" or a 93"...

rkersh409

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I found one that will work but they do not use perches for the leaf springs. I will have to drill 5/8" holes in the axle. Is this a bad idea to drill into a axle? I would think water would get into the axle. Or should I find some perches for square axles?

Bondo

Staff member

I found one that will work but they do not use perches for the leaf springs. I will have to drill 5/8" holes in the axle. Is this a bad idea to drill into a axle? I would think water would get into the axle. Or should I find some perches for square axles?

Ayuh,.... Add a set of perches,...
Don't drill such a huge hole in the axle,..
Yes, it'll fill with water not only rustin' it out,...
But in freezin' weather, it'll split the axle...

rkersh409

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Bond-o, one other question. Does the perches need to be welded onto the axle or just bolted on with the u-bolts?

Thanks,
Robert

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... It depends....

Some perches Have to be welded, 'n some can be retained by the bolts...
It just depends on how they assemble...