oxidation

Status
Not open for further replies.

heyketz

Cadet
What's the best way to remove oxidation from the hull of a boat I just bought. It's a 1976 Fiberform with a fiberglass hull. Light to moderate oxidation on the top I need to remove and shine up.

r.j.dawg

Ensign
Re: oxidation

Our boat was fairly oxidized when we got it and a friend suggested Meguiar's three step system. It worked fantastic in bringing the gelcoat back to like new condition. It even removed the ghosting from a previous name that had been removed. A random orbital buffer makes the job a whole lot easier.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

hi....welcome to iboats !

if you do a quick search in the restoration forum......you will find many threads on it there

cheers
and again
welcome

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

A decent buffing compound and a variable speed buffer.

chriscraft254

Commander

Really depends on how bad it is oxidized. Since it is an old boat I am assuming without any pics that wet sanding will be the most effective method for the op.

Wet sand with 1000 grit paper first on an area that is somewhat hidden and do a test.

On my particular hull, I wet sand with 1000, 1200, then 1500 grit paper. I then used starbright hull restore and then waxed with woody's Triple XXX wax. Wet sanding imo, is just as easy as compounding a hull, easier alot of times depending on what compound you use.

You can try the restore products first and see if it is aggressive enough, but compound is nothing more than 2500 to 3500 grit sand paper in liquid form. Good luck

If you really need to be agressive, work with 600 grit paper and work your way up. Wet sanding can make an old fiberglass hull look new if properly done.

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

Really depends on how bad it is oxidized. Since it is an old boat I am assuming without any pics that wet sanding will be the most effective method for the op.

Wet sand with 1000 grit paper first on an area that is somewhat hidden and do a test.

On my particular hull, I wet sand with 1000, 1200, then 1500 grit paper. I then used starbright hull restore and then waxed with woody's Triple XXX wax. Wet sanding imo, is just as easy as compounding a hull, easier alot of times depending on what compound you use.

You can try the restore products first and see if it is aggressive enough, but compound is nothing more than 2500 to 3500 grit sand paper in liquid form. Good luck

If you really need to be agressive, work with 600 grit paper and work your way up. Wet sanding can make an old fiberglass hull look new if properly done.

This is definitely true. I can't do the wetsanding because of my arthritic fingers :mad: and the buffer does all the finger work for you.. Do a few test spots, see what you like the best... if you do compound/buff, be careful though, it might come back.. PS I used turtle wax buffing compound with a foam pad, followed by a polishing compound then another turtle wax, wax product. I'm also in college and have no money :D

Status
Not open for further replies.