Need help please, looking for wiring diagram for 9.9hp Johnson 1998 four stroke

rluckin

Recruit
I have a project outboard that has had the main wiring loom cut off. I am trying to trace the wires to determine what goes where. I have a cluster of about 10 wires that i need to trace. If anyone knows of a wiring diagram online that i could use as a guide, that would be great. Thank you
J10FREL

raczekp1

Lieutenant
Re: Need help please, looking for wiring diagram for 9.9hp Johnson 1998 four stroke

diag

Attachments

• electrical%20diagram-electric_small.jpg
    electrical%20diagram-electric_small.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 13

rluckin

Recruit
Re: Need help please, looking for wiring diagram for 9.9hp Johnson 1998 four stroke

Thank you raczekp1
Unfortunatly when i oppend the attachment the picture was so small i could not read it, and when I made it large it was so distorted it was unreadable.
Could you or someone who knows where the file is link it or paste a large picture of the diagram?

Thank you
Randy

raczekp1

Lieutenant

once again

Attachments

• diagram.JPG
    diagram.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 9

rluckin

Recruit

downsized_1229111554.jpg

Thanks for your help,
I can see that image much better, it is differant from the first one you sent. I attached picture of what i have, I have found the wires that activate the starter. There are several other wires that I assume are for gauges and that kind of thing. I have power hooked up thru battery and can activate a key switch to make it turn over. I have no spark to the spark plugs. any ideas of what wire or wires i am missing??

Haffiman

Commander

A nit difficult to see, but roughly like this:
Red - B+
Purple - switched B+ from ignition switch
Yellow/red - start solenoid activation.
Black - Ground
Purple/white - Choke
Brown - Alarm

rluckin

Recruit

Thanks Haffiman,
your post was very clear and easy to follow.
unfortunatly, still no spark.
there is a grey wire that looks like it goes to regulator, do i need this hooked up to + or -, or don't need?
Also there are two blacks,
black/white shows restance to block (ground)
black/yellow I have no idea where it goes?? (maybe dont need it hooked up)

brown = temp sending unit (i left disconected)
brown/yellow = oil sending unit (i left disconected)

If it should of had spark from coil pack after i hooked up as stated above, maybe there is problems with electrical components, kinda lookin that way to me.

I have a book now, not a good one, but hopefully it will help diagnose.

if you have anyother ideas, i will be glad to try

Thank you

Haffiman

Commander

Grey is Tach signal.
Black/Yellow is stop circuit going to power-pack. Gets to ground when stopped.
Edited:
All 'striped' wires are switched circuits. Normally the black/white on bigger engines belong to the quick-start circuit, but I do not believe you have that.