How to unload your small boat on the ground in 5 minutes

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Sooo since this subject comes up so often I took a few pictures today when I swapped my new trailer under my boat.

I didn't remove the engine. I didn't measure anything or build anything. I didn't break a sweat. At no time was my boat or any person in any danger at all.

First step... I used a 2" ratchet strap but a rope (at least 1/2") or chain will work just fine. I anchored the stern to my bobcat but a car, tree, maybe even a boat anchor in the ground will work.
jjj 1.jpg

Next I pulled the trailer ahead 2 feet with my jeep and set two tires (on rims) under the stern.... Not always needed but I wanted to show how it would work for those who can't trim their drive or engine higher than the keel.... a 12" gap between the tires would make it more stable but I wanted to be able to lean the boat if desired.
jjj 2.jpg

Next, I pulled the trailer ahead until the stern was resting on the tires and the bow was a couple feet from coming off the trailer and I tossed a chunk of firewood under the keel
jjj 3.jpg

Finally I pulled ahead slowly watching the bow gently roll off of the last keel roller
jjj 4.jpg

Nothing dropped, Nothing was ever out of control and there was no danger whatsoever to people or equipment.
jjj 5.jpg

Loading is simply reverse of the above with the use of the winch strap.... If you blocked the stern then leave the transom tied off so the boat isn't pulled off of the blocks..... leave the tow vehicle in neutral or unhook the trailer from the tow vehicle (tongue will raise at first) and crank the trailer under the boat.... you will likely have to steer the trailer so that the boat loads straight. If you unhooked the tow vehicle you will want to push the tongue back down to the ground when you can easily do so. That way it won't slam down when the boat gets far enough to get positive tongue weight. The entire off and on process took me about 30 minutes and that included parking the first trailer, hitching the second and unbolting/adjusting the winch stand and tongue jack on the new trailer to fit the boat.

While the boat is off the trailer you can spray the bunks with silicone lubricant and make it easier too load the boat back on but BEWARE with the silicone your boat will launch and load MUCH easier so make sure you don't unhook the winch strap before backing down the ramp..... You'll LOVE it but don't say I didn't warn ya.;)

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade
That's awesome. Thanks for the pics. I am probably still too afraid to attempt with either of my boats. But nice job.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Re: How to unload your small boat on the ground in 5 minutes

BTW this is a 20' Wellcraft Fisherman center console....1500-2000 lbs... Nothin to it..... don't be 'skeered.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Clean and easy! Way to go smoke.

A little twist on your method.
Pull trailer half way out. Drop tongue to the ground which raises bow. Place keel support and raise tongue. Support should be high enough to clear trailer when tongue is raised. Then just walk out trailer. This way there is less winching involved getting it back on.

95regalskip

Cadet

Got another one. This was a trailer swap for a 17 foot Lowes.
The original trailer was kind of high and made launching wet because I had to back down so far to get the boat to float.
I had my older bass boat trailer , which sat alot lower. After modifying the bunks to fit the new boat, I backed the two front to back in line with each other. I removed the winch post from the original trailer and slid the tounge under the front trailer. Using the front trailer winch, I pulled the boat from one to the other.

Sooo since this subject comes up so often I took a few pictures today when I swapped my new trailer under my boat.

I didn't remove the engine. I didn't measure anything or build anything. I didn't break a sweat. At no time was my boat or any person in any danger at all.

First step... I used a 2" ratchet strap but a rope (at least 1/2") or chain will work just fine. I anchored the stern to my bobcat but a car, tree, maybe even a boat anchor in the ground will work.
View attachment 126497

Next I pulled the trailer ahead 2 feet with my jeep and set two tires (on rims) under the stern.... Not always needed but I wanted to show how it would work for those who can't trim their drive or engine higher than the keel.... a 12" gap between the tires would make it more stable but I wanted to be able to lean the boat if desired.
View attachment 126498

Next, I pulled the trailer ahead until the stern was resting on the tires and the bow was a couple feet from coming off the trailer and I tossed a chunk of firewood under the keel
View attachment 126499

Finally I pulled ahead slowly watching the bow gently roll off of the last keel roller
View attachment 126500

Nothing dropped, Nothing was ever out of control and there was no danger whatsoever to people or equipment.
View attachment 126501

Loading is simply reverse of the above with the use of the winch strap.... If you blocked the stern then leave the transom tied off so the boat isn't pulled off of the blocks..... leave the tow vehicle in neutral or unhook the trailer from the tow vehicle (tongue will raise at first) and crank the trailer under the boat.... you will likely have to steer the trailer so that the boat loads straight. If you unhooked the tow vehicle you will want to push the tongue back down to the ground when you can easily do so. That way it won't slam down when the boat gets far enough to get positive tongue weight. The entire off and on process took me about 30 minutes and that included parking the first trailer, hitching the second and unbolting/adjusting the winch stand and tongue jack on the new trailer to fit the boat.

While the boat is off the trailer you can spray the bunks with silicone lubricant and make it easier too load the boat back on but BEWARE with the silicone your boat will launch and load MUCH easier so make sure you don't unhook the winch strap before backing down the ramp..... You'll LOVE it but don't say I didn't warn ya.;)

bspeth

Senior Chief Petty Officer

thanks for weighing in guys-Blair