Correct shifter for MC-1?

sextondm

Seaman Apprentice
Hello all;
Boat is a '74 Starcraft Chieftain with MC-1 drive, Ser. #3647773 and the GM 250 I6.
It's my first boat, and I don't know a lot of the history. I believe the inside of the boat, dash etc. was all rebuilt sometime since '74. It needs replacing again... but that's another subject! :)
At any rate, I've had the boat in the water twice now, and I have been reading through some posts from Ziggy, and some others.
I'm not sure my shifter is the original, or that it is correct for an MC-1.
There are two distinct, different clicks/detents felt as you move the throttle through it's full travel. I thought there should be only one?
Also, The throttle probably has over 95 degrees of travel, all the way up till it hits the dash, and all the way down past vertical. I think this is way too much?
I'm going to work on adjusting the shifter cable today, as per this forum.
I have the Seloc manual, but not the Merc manuals yet.
Any ideas?
Thanks!

Attachments

• 2011-09-08_13-15-28_270.jpg
    2011-09-08_13-15-28_270.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 2011-09-15_18-55-42_645.jpg
    2011-09-15_18-55-42_645.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 0

Pete104

Lieutenant
Re: Correct shifter for MC-1?

That is a Teleflex control. It was popular back then. Alot manufacturers used it. It was a universal remote control. It also has adjustments behind it that allow for different travel. Those set screws liked to loosen up if they didn't have loctite on them. I don't recall if the shift side had letters or numbers. Shift had one, throttle had the other. You want them set on "C" & "3". Your not going to find anything on it in any mercury book. Maybe online, it's pretty old.
This should have been posted in non-repair section.

sextondm

Seaman Apprentice

Pete,
Thanks for the info. At least I know now what it is. I'm still not sure if its working correctly. Seems like it has much too large of a range of movement to me. Definitely more than my brother's '73 Aristocraft with the same engine/drive combo.
Is it possible to move a post so I could put it in the non-repair section?

Bondo

Staff member

Pete,
Thanks for the info. At least I know now what it is. I'm still not sure if its working correctly. Seems like it has much too large of a range of movement to me. Definitely more than my brother's '73 Aristocraft with the same engine/drive combo.
Is it possible to move a post so I could put it in the non-repair section?

Ayuh,.... Done Deal...

There's usually multiple holes for hookin' up the cables, to give different throws...