Mercruiser power to hydraulic steering

Gypseas

Recruit
Happy Holidays Everyone,

I am upgrading my cable/power steering to straight hydraulic and wondering if any of you have done this before and have any suggestions.
Power is Mercruiser 496 mag with bravo2 drive.
Had the boat out and found the steering quite hard to turn. Helm pump(manual) is Seastar HH5271 1.7ci.

Thank you,

Removed this
KGrHqVicE7BK7lUHBO6Wyf6lOQ60_12.jpg

and installed this Mercruiser P/N: 861659T 1
DSC5563551.jpg

power steering pump was disconnected and supply line was connected into fluid cooler return

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Mercruiser power to hydraulic steering

Had the boat out and found the steering quite hard to turn. Helm pump(manual) is Seastar HH5271 1.7ci.

Ayuh,... You went from power assisted steerin' to full hyd, No assist...

I'm not surprised it steers abit hard...

The only ways to make it turn easier is to use a lower displacement helm, or a larger steering cylinder, which in effect does the same thing...
More turns, less movement...

Gypseas

Recruit

Thank you for your replies.

Bond-o I was afraid of that but think you nailed it. Solution to problem may be going back to different hydraulic cylinder to actuate power steering.

Was just wondering if anyone had used this particular mercruiser cylinder

DSC5563551.jpg

Don you're also right about the spending a lot o' dough part. :facepalm:

cheers

achris

More fish than mountain goat

...I am upgrading my cable/power steering to straight hydraulic and wondering if any of you have done this before and have any suggestions.
Power is Mercruiser 496 mag with bravo2 drive.
Had the boat out and found the steering quite hard to turn. Helm pump(manual) is Seastar HH5271 1.7ci....

I'm curious as to why you went from a perfectly good power steering to a non assisted hydraulic steering. Was there a problem with the power steering system or did you change it because 'everybody' says hydraulic is better? (which it isn't)....

Chris......

Gypseas

Recruit

Hi Chris,

A couple of reasons:

-Primarily I needed to install a second helm, we do a lot of trolling for salmon up here in the PNW, and using a kicker/trolling outboard (9.9hp Yammy) needs to steered from outside the cabin when playing a fish solo. I could have linked the bravo leg to the kicker but still needed a helm outside the cabin. So hydraulic seemed to be the better choice cost and maintenance-wise.
There's a gazillion choices on setups, hydraulic allows me to install an autopilot in the future.
-Secondly the boat was "wandering" when not on plane, steering was very responsive, seemingly overshooting side to side.

And yes a couple times the "hydraulic steering is better" line was heard.:)

cheers

Bondo

Staff member

-Secondly the boat was "wandering" when not on plane, steering was very responsive, seemingly overshooting side to side.

Ayuh,... V-hull Wander,...

Most all of 'em do it,...
Trim tabs help,...
Less operator input helps even more....

hyd. steerin' ain't gonna help abit...