replacing a 3 blade prop with a 4 blade

wayman999

Cadet
I want to replace my 3 blade 23 pitch x 14.25 prop on my h183 fourwinns fish and ski with a 4 blade .From what i have read so far it seams the recomended prop would be a 4 blade with a 22 pitch .
I am trying to decide between the Solas Amita #8613-140-23 for 123.00 ,cr the Solas Amita #8613-140-21 for 118.99. The 22 pitch only comes in ss and in the rivers i fish in that one would be a waste.

I could not tell what my wot is because the rpm guage goes crazy after 4000 but at 3000 i was going 33 mph on gps and have had it up to 47 mph which seamed around 4000

ps wanted the 4 blade to plane quicker and hopefully it will troll a little slower
thankyou

2010 fourwinns 183 fs 4.3 lit volvo penta sx wot 4200-4600 used mainly for fishing and tubeing not sure which prop would be best

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
Re: replacing a 3 blade prop with a 4 blade

Ayuh,... What motor, 'n drive,..??

ya probably oughta fix the tach 1st...

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

The pitch change would depend on your present wot rpm and speed.
You do need an accurate tach to be saure what you need.
There is usually a switch on the back note it position and operate it a few times to clean the contacts.
Read "read this first" at the top of the page and answer the questions.

w_huisman

Seaman Apprentice

What would change in prop performance if you stayed with the exact same pitch and diameter, and just jumped from the 3-blade to a 4-blade?

wayman999

Cadet

the prop the boat came with is a volvo penta aluminum14.2 3 blade .
unfortunatly im up here in the great white north and i wont be seing water for 6 more months and prop prices seam to be better in the winter .

I dont think the boat will go up to the 4600 rpm max with the prop i have now it didnt have much left after 4000 rpm
ps its dry weight is 3200 lbs

wayman999

Cadet

What would change in prop performance if you stayed with the exact same pitch and diameter, and just jumped from the 3-blade to a 4-blade?

im hopeing it will plane at a slower speed

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Well if we have to guess and based on your rpm guess I would suggest going to a 21.
The reduction in pitch should maintain rpm, help hole shot and the ability to stay on plane and the 4 blade will also improve that further.The reduction in pitch and the 4 blade will usually lower top end slightly. Going to the same pitch 4 blade would usually lower wot rpm and speed slightly.
It should improve hole shot and ability to stay on plane.

wayman999

Cadet

Well if we have to guess and based on your rpm guess I would suggest going to a 21.
The reduction in pitch should maintain rpm, help hole shot and the ability to stay on plane and the 4 blade will also improve that further.The reduction in pitch and the 4 blade will usually lower top end slightly. Going to the same pitch 4 blade would usually lower wot rpm and speed slightly.
It should improve hole shot and ability to stay on plane.

thanks i was kinda thinking the same way but i wasnt sure what a 2 degree pith change would do

Bondo

Staff member

thanks i was kinda thinking the same way but i wasnt sure what a 2 degree pith change would do

Ayuh,... It's got Nothing to do with Degrees,...

Prop are measured in Inches of Pitch...

Smaller inches of pitch equates to more power...
like a lower gear in a car...
Bigger inches of pitch equates to lower rpms, 'n less power, but possibly higher speeds, IF the motor has the horsepower to pull the bigger Inches of pitch...