4.3 GXi-E can't reach WOT

Morgz

Cadet
Ok, so I have read all I can here and have started to tear my hair out in frustration ;) I have a new to me 2005 Regal 2860 with twin VP 4.3 GXi-E sterndrives. Everything checked out on survey but since the boat arrived in Australia we have not been able to achieve WOT on either engine, particularly starboard. Port runs Ok and I suspect cant get to WOT due to starboard lagging behind. 'We have achieved about 21 knots and on the plane but this boat should cruise at around 26-28 and run well above 30kts at WOT.
Starboard misses slightly but otherwise starts and idles fine. We've had a VP tech check her out but so far no success. Things we've done:

• Removed, checked and cleaned injectors
  • Checked fuel pump. Pressures OK
  • Checked anti syphon valve . All OK
  • Replaced fuel fiters and fuel lines
  • replaced distributor cap, coil and ignition leads
  • checked plug gaps

All without success. The engine misfires a little (not badly) and starts easily. Oil pressure is fine, as are cylinder compressions. The starboard tach was replaced after found to be faulty during survey but now reads incorrectly (high). Weve checked the settings and it is set correctly, so have been syncing it with port which is reading correctly as determined by our technician. WOT on starboard is estimated at about 2500 to 3000 max (if we take the reading when synced with port). One other thing to note, but possibly unrelated, is that starboard never seems to reach operating temperature; it creeps up the gauge to maybe 160 but doesn't get higher and doesn't match port which reads as it should (don't have the exact temp reading with me, but its normal). The tech has connected the engine to his diagnostic computer and all is showing normal.

We're now sick of replacing parts with no return. Any ideas where we should look now? This is getting very frustrating! Thanks.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: 4.3 GXi-E can't reach WOT

First put some #s to the compression test?
Any prop changes?Contact the factory and they can tell you what came standard.
Any water in the fuel?
Misfire,any misfire could be a bad plug.Or an air leak.
Try unhooking the tachs.Check the timing?
There could be a restriction in the exhaust?
Sounds like the connections could use a contact cleaner.

Morgz

Cadet

Compressions: 1-160, 2-170, 3-165, 4-168, 5-165, 6-170 so all are within spec.
The props are the same ones which the boat has previosuly been tested at 4100rpm from both engines.

There is no water in the fuel and the fuel is fresh premium unleaded. Both fuel filters are new.
The plugs are only about 10 hours old and are correctly set
I have now got the starbrd tach working correctly. What would unhooking it do? Is it possible for a bad tach to mess up the ECU?
The exhausts seem OK to me, how can I check them?

First put some #s to the compression test?
Any prop changes?Contact the factory and they can tell you what came standard.
Any water in the fuel?
Misfire,any misfire could be a bad plug.Or an air leak.
Try unhooking the tachs.Check the timing?
There could be a restriction in the exhaust?
Sounds like the connections could use a contact cleaner.

Morgz

Cadet

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,....

The answer to yer problem is in Here....

Thanks. I have read that thread previously and I'm no closer to solving the problem. WOT on port is 3300 and on starboard is 2800. Both seem to be running ok otherwise. Will the master/slave arrangemement limit the revs of one engine (i.e. starboard) or should I expect that one engine would rev to spec (i.e. WOT 4400-4800rpm) regardless of the other engine; assuming that the ECM is not in engine protection mode? i.e. is there anything in the ECM which will limit the revs I can get out of port (the slave) when the master has a problem? There is no serious misfire, I can get the boat onto plane and up to about 23kts but starboard peaks at about 2800rpm while port will go to 3300. Both should rev much harder than that under load. I'm trying to work out if it is just staboard which is struggling or if I have a problem affecting both engines.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Are you running with the trim all the way down, or have you tried trimming the drive up as you pick up speed and rpm?

As you trim up from full down, you trim up a little and as the speed and rpm increase, you trim up some more. When you get to where the point that the rpm goes up and the speed goes down, then you trimmed to high and need to trim down some.

Morgz

Cadet

I've tried adjusting trim, but still can't seem to get the engines to rev harder or the speed to rise. I still can't get more than about 2800rpm out of starboard, assuming the tacho is correct. There is a slight miss but nothing really bad. Starboard is still running a little cool so I will take a look at the thermostat; would this affect the ECU to the point where it limits revs?

Bondo

Staff member

assuming the tacho is correct. There is a slight miss but nothing really bad.

Ayuh,.... 2 things....

A) Never Assume....

B) Any Miss, needs to be Fixed....

Morgz

Cadet

This problem is now driving me crazy. A second Volvo tech can't find the problem either... Started out with the diagnostics and replaced knock sensors and the ECT sensor. He checked compressions again, swapped the fuel pumps over (port was brand new). Today he ran it on a portable fuel tank to rule out fuel pickup issues. Nada.... Swapped injectors port to starboard, swapped assorted sensors likewise... New plugs. No improvement at all, still won't reach WOT and still has a slight miss. Any further suggestions guys, I am getting very frustrated with this!

Morgz

Cadet

The only thing I can think of which was changed on starboard between the survey and the boat arriving in Australia is the tach. Starboard tach wasn't working during the survey sea trial so it was replaced. When it arrived it wasn't reading correctly until I messed around with the cyclinder selector switch while the boat was idling and got it to behave. Another symptom has been that the hour meter seemed to start cycling digits and eventually reset at zero, indicating an issue somewhere. Our depth gauge also has a habit of turning on and off, and it's in the same dash panel as the tach. Could a short in the tach circuit and/or dash wiring be grounding the ignition coil and causing an electrical problem? I'm clutching at straws now!

bnicov

Petty Officer 1st Class

Could be a potential cause. Go through the under dash wiring with a fine tooth comb to see if there are any shorts or loose connections. Pay attention to the ignition switch.

MotorheadTed

Seaman

Is it possible to swap ECU's ? You've swapped injectors, but an injector problem could be in the injector wiring harness. Back to basics, it has to be fuel or ignition. Get an IR heat gun and check each cyl exhaust close to the head port while running under load. the missing cly (or cyl's) will be colder. My money is on the injection system.

Morgz

Cadet

The ECUs were swapped, as were the fuel pump, all sensors etc. On Monday they are going to swap the wiring harness to see if that makes a difference. My money is on a wiring problem too - I hope this finally proves it one way or another!

Next time I'm on the boat I'll try the heat gun approach, assuming that the harness swap does not cure the problem. By this stage I am getting very pessimistic that anything will work!

Is it possible to swap ECU's ? You've swapped injectors, but an injector problem could be in the injector wiring harness. Back to basics, it has to be fuel or ignition. Get an IR heat gun and check each cyl exhaust close to the head port while running under load. the missing cly (or cyl's) will be colder. My money is on the injection system.

Morgz

Cadet

Well according to our mechanic the problem is fixed. I have yet to test her, so I remain a little sceptical :D

They took the harness off and discovered a number of what he described as "dry joints". My understanding is that they are all mechanical joints (I.e. crimped) but I guess they can still corrode over time. Another symptom was that they weren't getting all of the information from the ECU they usually expect to see.

Anyway... The offending joints have been fixed and we're told that she is running well. An in water test will tell, but with 25 kt SSE winds and a 2.7 m swell tomorrow the sea trial will have to wait. I'll post my findings after the sea trial just to close the loop here (hopefully).

Now my Kohler 5e has decided to stop after 4 or 5 minutes so it seems I have some more repairs to make :facepalm: Freekin BOATs!

Morgz

Cadet

I'm happy to report that this case is closed. This morning's sea trial proved that she is fixed, we got her up to 35 knots and she was singing sweetly right across the rev range.

Not only does she get up and go, she gets there a lot quicker and it is much easier to sync the engines. If I ever find out exactly where in the wiring harness the bad connections were I will report back here, but suffice to say that the problem was in the harness somewhere and was resulting in bad and/or incomplete info getting back to the ECU.