warning horn acting strange (kinda working?)

mrhunt1

Recruit
Hey all:
Have a 1993 150hp Johnson on a Whaler, engine J150EXETG (pretty sure). Been having problems w/ the warning horn. Wondering if anyone had a solution / suggestion / next thing to check.

Here's what it's doing:
NO 'system check' buzzer when the key is turned on (this is usually the 1/2 second 'beep' to let you know the horn works)
When the sensor wires are grounded, horn sounds.
When the horn is connected across battery leads, horn sounds.
Last time we were running, had a continuous extremely low-grade beep (almost inaudible, unless you stuck your head near the buzzer). Boat would run to full RPMs (i.e.. the S.L.O.W. system hadn't kicked in), the engine was still peeing, running normally, etc - no apparent issues, other than the low-grade buzz.
The oil-sensor is and has been disconnected for (literally) years, as the sensor was bad and giving erroneous signal even when the oil tank was full and being used normally.

I've tried to find a wiring diagram, but no luck. I've checked the brown wire / blue stripe coming from block (between the plugs), and the brown lead on the port side of the engine next to the oil sensor line (not sure what exactly it goes to, other than some sensor for the horn). All, when grounded, make the horn sound normally.

1) is there another sensor/line that I could check?
2) is there a 'black box' where all the sensor lines come together before heading to the warning buzzer? (could that be the problem, and if so - where is it???)

Thanks in advance for the help. It's christmas in the keys, most of the marine repair stores are closed, and I only have a few more days of holiday before I have to head back to the real world. Thanks!

Michael

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: warning horn acting strange (kinda working?)

Seeing it's the year it is, you may just have a bad horn. OMC had probs back in those yrs with the horns doing that. As long as the horn sounds when you ground the tan wires I'd just run it.