1442 Alumacraft or a 1440m Lowe Jon Boat

psa55

Cadet
Hi All,

I'm looking for a little advice and knowledge from you guys. I just picked up one of the new 2011 Merc 2-strokes from their last run of 2-strokes. It's a 15hp. I am trying to find the right model of Jon Boat to go with it. I going to go with a 40 or 42" boat as I think I'll be disappointed with the performance of the 15hp and a bigger 48" boat.

I've narrowed it down to the Alumacraft 1442 or the Lowe 1440M. Does anyone have any experience with either or recommendations. Is there any difference in quality of manufacture or are they pretty comparable? The Alumacraft seems to be quite a bit less expensive.

I do like the idea of the Mod-V hull which I think might perform a little better in choppy water, but I'm wondering if the extra 2" of the Alumacraft might offset that.

Any info you could provide would be a big help!
Thanks.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1442 Alumacraft or a 1440m Lowe Jon Boat

When I decided to replace my 15 ft Lonestar aluminum utility in 77 I wanted to get an 18 ft utility but was worried about our 17 year old Gale 25 being enough motor.
I was pleasantly surprised; the 18 out performed the 15 hands down especially with a load of people the 15 struggled to plane with 4 aboard the 18 planed easily with 6 aboard.
The 18 had a dry weight of 375.
Personally I would prefer a regular utility. They generally ride and handle better in rough going. I think your 15 would be helped with a 60" boat maybe even a 15 or 16 ft.bare bones boat.Especially hauling a load.
Our old gale was rated at the powerhead giving it about 22 or 23 at the prop maybe a little less being 17 plus years old at the time. Your 15 is 15 at the prop capable of about 25mph under ideal conditions.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Yessss. Thing about Johns, at low hp and low speed, is that the flat bottom will get you up on plane and keep you there effortlessly. The benefit of a V/semiV bow is that it will help to break up any waves and help to keep your john quiet and comfortable to ride in.

Mark

NYBo

Admiral

Welcome to iboats!:cool:

You'll be a lot more comfortable with a semi-V in rough water; a jon will be more stable in calm water but will give you a pounding if you try to make any speed in the rough stuff.

IslandManMitch

Petty Officer 3rd Class

If you are going with a Jon the wider the better (even the 48"). The 15 will push it fine. But, I prefer a V hull.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

I think consensus is Alumacraft builds a better boat than Lowe, but either one will be fine. I'd probably go with the Alumacraft just because it's cheaper. That's a good size for a fifteen. Welcome aboard.:cool:

psa55

Cadet

Thanks Guys for the welcome to iboats.com. This is great. Sounds like both would be good. Each have a slight pro/con depending on the flat bottom of mod-v.

I don't know much about Alumacraft, as there are no local dealers, so it's just what I've been able to read online (closest dealer is 3 hrs south). Lowe is pretty common around here. Would you consider them equal in terms of manufacture?

Looks like it might come down to price.

Thanks.

psa55

Cadet

Thanks Incoop, just seeing your response.

i have a 16 foot lowe with semi v hull and a 40 hp evinrude. Although it isnt without its problems i have had to redo 2 welds on it and the livewell leaked a little so i turned it into storage for my gas tank. i had a 20 horse on it before and it got up and ran just fine even with 3 in the boat. Definately go with the semi v hull, you will be glad you did in the rough water!

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

The wider the boat the better it will plane. I have a 1448 starcraft, that i've had every thing from a 9.9 to 25 HP motors on, and it's the cats meow. It is the Mod V and handles rough water fine with a little caution. The 15 should handle everything just fine till you overload the boat. The 25 will push mine around 30 MPH and cruse at 25.The 15 would run around 20 MPH. I have a 17MV bass boat. with a 90 Merc. and it sets at the house most of the time, as the little one is more fun, less $ to run, and can get to places bigger ones can't.
Go for your hearts dessire and enjoy it.
Be Safe while boating,
Oldman570

5150abf

Vice Admiral

I don't think you are getting this to motor around all day and eventually you will stop to fish and that is when you will be really glad you got the widest boat you can find, I started out in a 12' 42'' jon and it was like fishing on a cork, borderline scary.

The wider the boat the more stable it is and easier to fish, as long as you stay under 15' the engine will do fine.

psa55

Cadet

Thank you all for your advice. Looks like it is going to come down to price and how much of a premium, if any, I'm willing to pay for Lowe with the v-hull.

I don't think you are getting this to motor around all day and eventually you will stop to fish and that is when you will be really glad you got the widest boat you can find, I started out in a 12' 42'' jon and it was like fishing on a cork, borderline scary.

The wider the boat the more stable it is and easier to fish, as long as you stay under 15' the engine will do fine.

My buddy had the same boat. we took my 15 hp evinrude with the 9.9 hood , you know so it looked legal when running it in the cannal.... anyway we put my 15 evinrude motor on it and that boat would scream. I took the gps out and it would do 27. way to fast !!! you are right though it is scary being in a narrow boat.

Philster

Captain

I have a 17' Alumacraft with 40 HP Merc 4-stroke. Tops out around 25. I don't know if pounding really matters, since you won't be going very fast! For me, it's a non-issue, and we do run near shore from time to time, even in the lower Chessie.