Need to make it a short shaft motor

Gas Giant

Petty Officer 1st Class
Engine is a 1963 Evinrude Big Twin, model no. 40353

Okay, just got the motor put in my Orlando Clipper, and low and behold the stinkin leg is too long. The anti-ventilation plate is way below the boat. The engine looks like it has some sort of extension on it between the mid-section and the lower unit.

I happen to have a short-shaft gearcase left over from my '61 40hp. Freshly resealed, and it has the driveshaft and shift rod. (I also have the rest of the engine, so I have the two water tubes and everything else)

I read a few threads on here and I have an inkling of what I need, but is there anything else I need to put the '61 lower unit on? Any gotchas that you guys know about? Or will it be a matter of removing one, and installing the other?

Thanks guys, I am so close to being on the water I can almost taste it! :D

freddyray21

Commander
Re: Need to make it a short shaft motor

take off the lower off the "long shaft" and take the extension piece out. The other lower will bolt right up with the right length driveshaft. The shift shaft depends on whether it was extended with a long coupler or a long shift shaft. If it has a long coupler on the one you have now you will need a short coupler which should be with the other gear case. You can use either gear case the only difference was the length of the driveshaft and whether the shift shaft is long or used the long coupler. My guess is since it has the extension piece it has the long coupler.

kfa4303

Banned

yup. you may have to install the shorter copper water uptake tube as well, but otherwise it's just as described above. cheers. merry xmas.

Gas Giant

Petty Officer 1st Class

Excellent, I'll swap em out tomorrow. Thanks!

lindy46

Captain

You also have to switch out the large bolt at the rear of the motor which hold the gearcase on - the one that goes in from the top. Again, you should be able to use the short one from the donor motor.

Gas Giant

Petty Officer 1st Class

All done! Thanks for the info guys. That was actually much easier than I was expecting it to be!

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

I would make it even easier. Try running the rig as is. You may find that the performance, while not optimal, is perfectly O.K.. I run a 9.9 on a 12'er that way.