9.9 gamefisher stupid question

graver757

Cadet
Hello I'm a new member to this site and would like to say this site has so much useful info its unbelievable!! Thanks alot! Anyway now to the topic at hand I just recently purchased a 14' aluminum jonboat and a gamefisher 9.9 for $75! Now this will probably be the dumbest question you have ever heard (As this is my first boat ever)..So here goes..Where is the model number located on this engine? I dont know where to look, I need the model number because I need to replace the impeller. Please help and thank you in advance. I'm going to completely restore this boat and engine!

M

mrcrabs

Re: 9.9 gamefisher stupid question

welcome and merry Christmas,
First things first, since you payed 75$ I going to guess you have a Eska built gamefisher...Force also built these engines after 1986 there model numbers start with 225-xxxx, if its green or white its Eska if its black its a force. The Eska built unit usally has the model and serial number on a plate at the back under the pan and it will start withe 217-xxxx and you will have to flip the engine up to get a look at the tag, also on the engine itself there will be a metal tage on the intake with a 38x number to ID the block which was built by Tecumseh, I don't know about tag locations on the force built outboards

graver757

Cadet

Thank you so much mrcrabs for the fast response and merry christmas to you as well!! I will be going over to where i am storing the boat here shortly and will flip it over and take a look!! I had no clue where to start. thanks again... i may have some more questions coming soon!!!

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

If it's a 9.9, I'm going to be more inclined to believe that it's a Force. If I'm not mistaken, Eskas are 7.5hp and smaller and Tanakas are the smallest ones.

graver757

Cadet

Ok so went and checked the motor out and I dont think i accomplished much...i took the top off and there was a metal plate with the numbers 08-20714 stamped into it...on the intake there was a metal tag that said 382B Tecumseh 0059....Im stumped because the numbers on the tag are not the model number....Please help I have attached a picture to help out! Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• engine1.jpg
    engine1.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 0

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Oh, well I stand corrected. Interesting looking motor and it looks to be in pretty nice condition. First Eska 9.9 I've seen yet. Is that a twin or a single?

Did you get the boat and motor both for $75?? If so, you stole it.

graver757

Cadet

Yep got the whole thing for $75 bucks.....14ft jon boat and engine! Just having problems identifying the model of this engine. I need this info to get the new impeller...im so lost..im not sure it has two spark plugs if thats what your asking

Attachments

• engine1.jpg
    engine1.jpg
  • IMG_20111225_153609.jpg
    IMG_20111225_153609.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 0

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Wow, a nice deal you got. Yep, if there's two plugs, then it's a twin. I'm not sure but it sounds like that 382B is one of the numbers you need and as mrcrabs stated, look for that 217-xxxx model number. I'm willing to bet that he has a good idea of where to get parts for your motor as well. He seems to be really knowledgable about the Eska motors. I've fixed and sold quite a few of them myself, but it's been a while since I bought parts for one.

M

mrcrabs

Eska built a 9.5 a 9.9, 15hp all water cooled and powerful and light weight for what they are. I just happen to be in the middle of a 15hp project and have a 9.9 hanging. Your biggest problem will be the ignition, some of us @ the Eska yahoo group are working on that issue, I have 4 stators on my bench all with bad SCR's, I have one stator I managed to rebuiled and just tested yesterday Christmas day....yeah for me it works.

If you find your motor either will not run after a fuel system overhaul or only runs on one cylinder then the 75$ was no deal unless you part it out...I will only pay $25 or you got to give it to me for me to haul them home, retail for a CDI stator is 300.00 US which means it can be had for $250 at most pirate outlets, I have one back ordered for 189$ shipped, they must be popular Items at this time because CDI has a 3-5 week back order on that part number,
110-0958
Eska (1973-75) 2 Cyl supersedes 610873 and 610958
Edit: forgot to mention that the Eska 15hp will out run a J/E 9.9 any day of the week in a matched race

graver757

Cadet

I have searched everywhere for the model number for this motor and have come to the conclusion that someone has removed the plate with the model number on it. So now I have no clue what to do. The engine does run all i need is the impeller and need the model number to order the correct one.

M

mrcrabs

On the older models there is a place where I have the arrow pointing in your picture that hides the model tag, Its hard to believe theres no tag unless it was stolen at some point but you should at least find the 4 revit holes that held the tag. also when you run it as soon as you shut it down check for heat from each plug, they should be really hot to the touch, these engines sound almost the same running on one cylinder as the do running on 2

I do know that on some of the last run production 9.9's and 15's there was a plastic key that held the impeller insted of a steal pin.

View attachment 126257

graver757

Cadet

I looked at the pic and will be back with the motor in a few hours will check then. Someone had spray painted the motor white and may have sprayed over the tag. Honestly when I went and looked I was looking more towards the rear of the motor. I'm 100% sure this motor isn't stolen it was a good friend of mines late fathers engine and it was sitting in lake gaston in the basement. Thank you for the time you have taken to help me out! It is greatly appreciated! I will check back in in a few hours possibly with more photos

graver757

Cadet

Alright so I went back to the motor again and looked everywhere still to find no tag with a model number or serial number:mad:...so i dont know what to do...I did take quite a few pictures of all angles of the motor. Also when i inspected it closer it seems it may not have been repainted because some of the original stickers are still there and have not been painted over, but im not sure. I did shoot some carb cleaner in the carb and on the first pull she kicked over! The pic with the red arrow is where i thought this tag would have been located after following your advice...I need help!!!!

Attachments

• engine1.jpg
    engine1.jpg
  • IMG_20111226_161748.jpg
    IMG_20111226_161748.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20111226_161527.jpg
    IMG_20111226_161527.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20111226_161540.jpg
    IMG_20111226_161540.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20111226_161549.jpg
    IMG_20111226_161549.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 5
M

mrcrabs

yep some one de tagged it, first pic thats exactly where the model number serial number tag goes and I can see the revit holes...Oh but theres still hope, I can tell you the first 6 numbers 217-586xxx and I have consolidated the sears search for just such an occsian http://www.searspartsdirect.com/par...6&pathTaken=modelSearch&prst=0&shdMod=217-586 now you just match up part numbers from diagrams until you get close....there all just about alike except for this and that...from your pictures she is rigged just like my 217-586331, I would feel very comfortable using one of the later 9.9 numbers for part number lookups, when you replace the plugs use champion number RJ12C.

Best parts source is www.certifiedpartscorp.com look under vintage have your sears part number and call them,

Best regards,
mrcrabs

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

See? I told you mrcrabs would be of great help. I'll know who to ask next time I find an Eska. ;)

M

mrcrabs

yes sir I'm a ring tale whiz-a-roo on them Eskys, and if you don't believe me just ask my wife :D

MahtyMaht

Chief Petty Officer

My 9.9 has a model/serial plate inside the lower cowl in the front left corner, as you stand in front of it. It looks like yours does too, in that last pic.

014.jpg

M

mrcrabs

It sure enough does...looks painted over though. what year is yours mahty? seems like yours was a 80ish model if I remember right and does the pan have the spot in the back where the older ones had there tag?

your model number might be a better parts number source if it turns out he can't read his....funny how the revit holes were punched in the back of gravers

graver757

Cadet

OK..so after hours of research I think I finally have the model number..I cannot remember the website but it said in a list that in 1980 eska made a 9.9 gamefisher engine with the 382B Tecumseh engine which would make it a gamefisher 9.9 model 217-586240...any thoughts, suggestions or input would be greatly appreciated!!!! Thanks for all who helped! Found the page here it is! So Am I right with the model number???

Attachments

• eska models 2.jpg
    eska models 2.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 7

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

yes sir I'm a ring tale whiz-a-roo on them Eskys, and if you don't believe me just ask my wife :D

Yea, I actually like those Eska singles. A very simple little motor and very light weight for the horse power they deliver.