pro-jection

riskibusiness

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I know I've seen some threads on this before but I'm wondering if anyone has installed a projection on a marine engine. I know it wont do much for horsepower, but it should help fuel economy and make cold starts easier. Plus its a pretty pricey item so I wonder if its worth it. Oh and I have seen automotive versions at swap meets. I know the differences between marine and auto carbs, but is there really a difference for a throttle body???

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: pro-jection

...but is there really a difference for a throttle body???

As far as insurance companies and CG are concerned, if it doesn't have that little SAEJ10.... sticker on it, it's not marine and you are up ... creek if something happens... Highly likely all the same parts, but are you willing to take the risk? Petrol, boats and sparks are a great recipe for a fireworks show....

Chris........

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

I have read several reviews online - I can't find anything positive about that system. A few stories of tinkering with it for months, then ripping it off and throwing it away. not one person claiming success with it I can find.

typical review:
http://reviews.ebay.com/Holley-marine-projection-2d-throttle-body-system?ugid=10000000001898277

excellent review that provides great info on how to make Mercruiser or Chevy TBI parts integrate:
http://reviews.ebay.com/Holley-Marine-Projection-2D-700-21_W0QQugidZ10000000010123751

achris

Well, if those 2 articles don't convince you to run as far and as fast as possible, good luck with it...
Stay with the carburettor on your high-speed 470.... :rolleyes: Just one question... If it's already so fast you're kicking V8 ***, why are you looking to make changes to this fantastic engine?

Chris.........
(I read your '470 Haters' thread :D)

NetDoc

Chief Petty Officer

Interesting concept and obviously a poor result from trying to dumb it down too much. A guy at the local marina I am friends with bought one to deal with a highly erratic idle he could not resolve. He didn't ask for my help and I was really trying to learn more about what was going on when I noticed that he had a PCV valve. Being new to working on boats (not on cars), I had never seen one on a boat. I asked him how often he had to change his and he gave me a "dumb" look. I asked him to shake it and there was no rattle. So, he went and got one and Walla: the engine idled just fine. However, he couldn't get the Holly system to accelerate at all. Now, I didn't have time to sit there and help him through the entire process. I did suggest that a clogged PCV valve would have made his carb run just as poorly. A few days later, he said that he put his carb back on and everything was working great again. He asked how much I would charge him to get the TBI working correctly and I declined. Something about it looked too dumbed down. Reading the second review Mr Sterndrive provided, it became obvious: No MAP sensor. That's one of the most important inputs for a TBI to work right.

YZ165

Seaman

I've had to deal with that system several times(not on boats, rock crawlers/street rods). Not worth the trouble in my opinion. PITA.

On the other hand, I have also installed one of the FAST Systems EZ-EFI Systems and had almost unbelievable success. The thing
tuned itself in minutes, and never gave me any tuning issues. The next boat I get will get one of these systems! My .02, Good Luck!

Link.....http://www.fuelairspark.com/ezefi/d..._Banner_Ad&utm_campaign=EZ_HomePage_Banner_Ad

Bondo

Staff member

On the other hand, I have also installed one of the FAST Systems EZ-EFI Systems and had almost unbelievable success. The thing
tuned itself in minutes, and never gave me any tuning issues. The next boat I get will get one of these systems! My .02, Good Luck!

Ayuh,.... That system has the same downfall as most of the other systems out there,...

It requires an O2 sensor...

No way yer gonna put an O2 sensor on an ole 470.....

YZ165

Seaman

Ayuh,.... That system has the same downfall as most of the other systems out there,...

It requires an O2 sensor...

No way yer gonna put an O2 sensor on an ole 470.....

Good point....God I learn a lot from this site and its members. Not to mention some ideas about things that I could design....Hmmm....

riskibusiness

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have no intention of changing engines! And I stated in my post that I know it would do nothing for performance. I just wanted to know if it would help with fuel usage. I dont know if you ever read my original info. The guy I bought it from had more money than sense. He had it totally rebuilt 0.30 over had a machine shop custom grind the cam, 202 in 185 out valves. Trust me this way more than I would have done (or could have afforded ). But I promise you it is a screamer.
Oh and I think I will stay with my good ole rochester. Fuel injection sounds good in theory. But not practical at the moment.

achris

..Oh and I think I will stay with my good ole rochester. Fuel injection sounds good in theory. But not practical at the moment.

It's actually very practical at the moment. The Merc system on all their engine works very well. I have a 2006 4.3MPI and the fuel system is fantastic, it's using about 20% less fuel than my 4.3LX did. The engine seems smoother and quieter too. And it starts better.... :D

I also looked into put EFI on the old 4.3LX, but it worked out too expensive for what it would have given me, so I just put a whole new power package in... :D

Cheers..........

riskibusiness

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes i agree its practical when installed originally. I meant its not practical for me at this time.:D
It's actually very practical at the moment. The Merc system on all their engine works very well. I have a 2006 4.3MPI and the fuel system is fantastic, it's using about 20% less fuel than my 4.3LX did. The engine seems smoother and quieter too. And it starts better.... :D

I also looked into put EFI on the old 4.3LX, but it worked out too expensive for what it would have given me, so I just put a whole new power package in... :D

Cheers..........