1983 25hp Evinrude that won't shut off with the key

rpena

Recruit
Hello
I have a 1983 25hp Evinrude with remote start, it's on a 83 Rhyan Craft I've been restoring. I got the engine running had some carb problems but got them all worked out, however I noticed that I could not shut the engine off with the key or emergency pull tab switch. I had to choke it to shut it off. Anyone ever dealt with this problem? help

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1983 25hp Evinrude that won't shut off with the key

Sounds as tho the grd. wire to the switch is bad or not hooked up in the motor. Digrams for some motors can be viewed at Sticky above these replyes, or at Max Rules.com. Your motor is not listed there but look at the ones for the year as they are near what your motor is wired like. It will give you a idea what to look for. The other option is to buy a service manual for your motor that has the diagrams in it. If you plan on working, on or keeping the motor very long, a manual is a good investment. Working with electrial troubles can be very trying at times. A test light comes in handy along with a longer jumper wire. Maybe others here will be able to post a wiring Digram for your motor. Sorry, I can not do so as my scaner/ printer quit on me.

Best luck and Merry Christmas,
Oldman570

Haffiman

Commander
Re: 1983 25hp Evinrude that won't shut off with the key

Pull the Black/Yellow wire from the power pack out of the contact and ground it when engine is running. If engine stops, the powerpack and its stop function is OK. If engine keeps on running, change powerpack. If powerpack is OK, use an OHM meter and search for a broken connection to ground from key-switch/emergency stop in your remote or cable harness.