1977 Gamefisher 7.5 hp ignition

mattoxj

Recruit
I'm new to this forum and saw some discussion on Gamefishers. I have a 77' 7.5 hp that has an ignition coil issue. Its model 217.585890. It does not have the points ignition. I can't find an ignition coil anywhere for that thing. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• game 1.jpg
    game 1.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 0

MahtyMaht

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1977 Gamefisher 7.5 hp ignition

Wow! that thang looks really clean. Why do you think it's the coil? It's probably not, ya know. It has Tecumseh's world renowned joke of a Solid State Ignition. They have a history of failure. The good news is that it means there are quite a few of these motors out there with very low mileage on them. The bad news is that to get plug fire, you either have to find a retailer of CDI Ignition, and get hosed on a rebuilt SSI unit, or sign up with this group

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/eskaoutboards/?v=1&t=directory&ch=web&pub=groups&sec=dir&slk=4010

and learn how to de-pot the original, and replace the SCR or the capacitor in there. You can get part numbers for that motor here;

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/par...47/1305320?pathTaken=&prst=0&shdMod=217585890

You can get OEM parts from Discount Parts Corporation, but you have to call them with at least your model number, if not part numbers. You can also get parts here;

http://www.boatsportandtackle.com/servlet/the-ESKA--dsh--Sears--fdsh--Ted-Wms/Categories

You're gonna want to put a new pump impeller in there, and if you are clever, you'll also replace the lower unit seal that lives below the pump impeller. The red 'duck bill' bladder in the carburetor mounting face will probably need to be replaced, and pay attention to how the slot in the face of the rubber is oriented - 2 and eight o'clock position. It may seem like a lot of crap, but if you play it all the way out, you'll have the lightest weight 7.5 hp outboard in the world, and it will be reliable. There are several people on this forum, and in the eskaoutboard group who can get you through whatever you want to take a run at on this thing.

PS - When you replace the water pump impeller, DO NOT forget to replace the little drive pin in it. Also, don't get the Eska pump impeller at boatsportandtackle - they'll stiff ya for $25. Instead, get this one;

http://www.boatsportandtackle.com/servlet/Categories

It's the same impeller, just less money.

M

mrcrabs

I have the same outboard in Eska's own brand name, the lower cowling is a bear to get off, I suggest if you do what mahty suggest that you start buy taking the power head lose from the leg, you need the one base gasket to repalce but I tell you as a fact that thing will eat your hand working on the carb with the lower shroud on there...I just leave mine off.

I think mahty meant www.certifiedpartscorp.com and look under vintage , have your sears part numbers and call Diann or Vern, drop names, Iboats...Eska Yahoo group etc etc....best price cheapest shipping & OE parts.

PS the ignition is a cheap fix if you do it yourself, still cheap if even if you have to send it to the guys at Eska yahoo group, I have the modules if you can solder.

DougS

can't agree

Recruit

I have the same outboard in Eska's own brand name, the lower cowling is a bear to get off, I suggest if you do what mahty suggest that you start buy taking the power head lose from the leg, you need the one base gasket to repalce but I tell you as a fact that thing will eat your hand working on the carb with the lower shroud on there...I just leave mine off.

I think mahty meant www.certifiedpartscorp.com and look under vintage , have your sears part numbers and call Diann or Vern, drop names, Iboats...Eska Yahoo group etc etc....best price cheapest shipping & OE parts.

PS the ignition is a cheap fix if you do it yourself, still cheap if even if you have to send it to the guys at Eska yahoo group, I have the modules if you can solder.

DougS

Mrcrabs will you please give more info on retrofit ign module for eska 7hp thanks charlie

M

mrcrabs

Mrcrabs will you please give more info on retrofit ign module for eska 7hp thanks charlie

you have to cut the old D6 diode & C1 lose from the circut, make a jumper past them, then I like to use a inline cap & diode and thread the wiring proper, with the inline diode, cap combo you get a smoother ride for the low tension lead and it looks good...no glueing to the PT, can't post any pics tonight

can't agree

Recruit

Mr Crabs Was just thinking when you might be able to post more info, maby pictures on how to retro fit a esks 7hp solid state ign .any help would be greatly appricated thanks Can't Agree Charlie

M

mrcrabs

do you mean retro fit as in replace a points ignition?

I will post some pictures of what it takes to bring a dead one back and the module I build but I will do it in the Eska files post....manyana

Tbirdsr7

Recruit

I have a bad module for an old Eska, and I want to know what it is that you can solder in to fix the module so it works? Thanks!