'93 Evinrude sluggish HoleShot

WinnipegBoatMan

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi guys,
I have an issue with a friends '93 V4 90HP Evinrude, oil injected... powerhead starts fine.. just a lot of smoke at the start from the oil prime. The issue is when the powerhead is nicely warmed up, and you want to go to WOT for a hole shot, it dies.. then fires... then dies.. then fires.. and after the initial WOT position, it will fire fine.. Its hard to explain.. but extreemly sluggish for a 90HP on a Alumacraft Trophy 170
The prop is a 17P, so it should have plenty of pitch to pop that boat right out of the water

I've worked on Merc's before, and my assumtion is the carb's need a good cleaning, not enough fuel getting thru the main jets causing it to stall out at WOT, but once the RPM's increase its getting fuel.. but it doesn't explain the sluggish ramp to WOT??

I'm not to sure where to start.. the fuel filter has been removed and cleaned, and fuel lines look in good condition.. any help would be great!

mmike

Cadet
Re: '93 Evinrude sluggish HoleShot

Two strokes are pretty easy if you think about it. You need compression, timing, spark and gas. The V4 has seperate fuel and spark for each cylinder, so something like a carb or coil wouldn't cause the motor to die on more than one cylinder. The problem doesn't sound like something that would be linked to low compression.
I'd be looking at a system that controls all the cylinders, timing or an electric supply maybe. That's free advice, so you got your money's worth.

WinnipegBoatMan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hey I like that moneys worth.
So then the 2 carb set up, wouldn`t cause a sluggish hole shot, or sluggish WOT? I have a inline Merc, and the timeing is controled by the trigger off of the crack, with timeing advance.. How is the Eveninrude set up for timeing? I'll get my timeing light out, and see what it is set at?
Thanks guys
Many thanks

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Is the timer base sticking when you advance the throttle ??

WinnipegBoatMan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thats a good question, I'd have to take a look. Like I said earlier, i'm more use to working on a Merc that an Eveinrude. What should I be looking for?