Help Please Fastwin 15HP Shift Rod Adjustment

SeaKaye12

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Hi,

I was just given a 1955 E'Rude Fastwin 15HP Model #15014. I would like to know the procedure for adjusting the shift rod. It appears that there is no adjustment done at the coupler in the leg; I assume there is a procedure outlined in the OEM manual for adjusting at the shift lever. (This is a tiller motor; no remote cables)

I'd love to get this on the lake on Christmas; no time to hunt down a manual.

Can anyone help?

BTW...the symptom the PO described is jumping out of gear. I realize I might be needing a clutch dog and gears...but I want to start with the basics.

Thanks,Chuck

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: Help Please Fastwin 15HP Shift Rod Adjustment

Not really an adjustment, just the detent in the rod has to line up with the hole/bolt in the coupler, unless you are talking about the shifter itself.

The jumping out of gear sounds like a worn clutch dog like you mentioned. Usually due to improper shifting. Parts manual at marineengine.com

Wont know till you open her up and have a looksee.

SeaKaye12

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks Chris...

There is no adjustment at the Shift Lever?

I notice that if I pull the spring loaded detent bar back...I can pull the shift lever further forward...and I can observe the shift rod moving further in the leg.

I only ask because the issue started after a water pump replacement...but like you say...the connector would have been the only thing messed with in that procedure...and I can't see how that would not have been put back together properly. The bolt is either in the cut-out or it isn't.

Thanks, Chuck

Attachments

• shift_rod_coupler.jpg
    shift_rod_coupler.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 1

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Well first definately ensure that the coupler is assembled as it should be.

As far as the shift lever goes, it has a spring loaded detent which pushes on the shift lever to hold the engine in gear.

Adjust it so the linkage is set up so that the strength of the detent spring is forcing the shift lever to the forward gear position. (you are favouring forward over reverse)

Do this by shifting the engine into forward, then loosen the adjusting bolt and move the gearshift lever just SLIGHTLY towards the neutral position while not allowing the rest of the linkage to move, then tightening up the adjustment bolt.

Now the spring loaded detent is trying to force the gearshift further forward.

Not ideal for reverse, but since reverse is run at much lower rpms, should be ok.

Let us know if this helps. If not, time to open the gearcase and inspect.

BTW, is that you in the pic?

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

You might have a loose bellcrank, under the powerhead. This often happens from it popping out of gear. And sometimes this getting loosened up starts it popping out of gear.
On the shifter itself, there are two clamping screws that will help with the shifter adjustment (number 33 and 35 on the attached photo.) Loosen those up and set the shifter position in the desired spot and then tighten the screws back up.

Attachments

• FORM_210400008im.jpg
    FORM_210400008im.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 2

kbait

Commander

Hightrim's right-on. I then 'test' it by turning the prop while while slowly shifting at the handle (motor off, of course) to see exactly where along the shift stroke it engages/disengages forward and reverse. Bias it to shift a little earlier into forward rather than reverse when you leave the N position and hopefully it's fully engaging F and R when in use. Good luck! ps.. I'm assuming the shift mechanism/adjustment near the handle is similar to a '57+ fastwin18.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

yes, I just posted the pic above.

SeaKaye12

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks guys! That gives me something to work with.

HighTrim....yes that's me at the tiller of a Scott Atwater. Those were the days....a long time ago

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Let us know how you do.

Do you still have the motor? Great pic, I take many pics of my boys at the helm of my antiques. Hopefully they follow in my hobby, otherwise the wife is going to have a yard sale when I pass, lol.

SeaKaye12

Lieutenant Junior Grade

HighTrim...

No; sadly the Scotty is long gone. It was a model 473....a 7.5 HP from 1947. My dad's motor. He would take me fishing off of Long Island New York on rental rowboats....

That picture though was taken on a lake in Connecticut.

Thanks again folks for all the help and encouragement. Happy Holidays to all.

Chuck